Thread: Fg Designs

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Fg Designs

Hi, I just redid my web design site, for the third time, ha ha. Though, I was wondering what you all have in mind, granted I am still uploading some more information and working with the PHP and MySQL coding some more.

http://www.fgdesigns.net

Feedback and ideas are always welcome, I would love to hear how I could make my site look and feel even better.
  3. guru

Hey,

It looks nice and love the consistencey between the colours used. Good job however it takes a long time to load because of all the images. Im on a very fast corporate line so its not likely to be my internet access.

Not sure of the beneft of having the picture of the alley behind the content ... it does look nice but on my screen it positions itself so you only see the top half of the alley which looks a little odd?

Wording - Doesnt sound very proffessional some of the wording used which may give the wrong impression about the company? like on the About Us page.

Top Navigation looks a little disjointed. It is positioned quite far to the left in comparison to the rest of the content making the page a little unbalanaced on that side.

Reminds me a bit of stickee.co.uk!
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

As for the background it is just because the background size is really big, I was going to resize it down, as the background images will be randomly chosen though I am asking that question in the javascript section.

I know the wording isn't super professional as of right now, or at least for that part, that is old content that I took just as a filler - since the site isn't fully done with the PHP / MySQL and the Javascript...

As for the loading problems, I understand, I will try to fix that problem and see what i can do about it. As for the navigation if you are talking about the top navigation, do you suggest I place it centered?
  7. guru

Hey,

Fair enough about the bvackground pic but instead of using javacript to resize it it may be worth actually manually shrinking the picture so your not loading the large picture every time.... should help speed the site up a little

The navigation i would suggest that the whole navigation bar should line up with the Testimonials sidebox. in addition to this i'd also make the footer match the same size (and alignment) as the header so its not 100% width anymore

While discussing the footer - i like what you hve done with the opacity of the con_head image... i think that would look good for the footer too instead of it blocking out the background image as it does now! Out of interest how did you do that? is it just how you saved the png... ??

Ed
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, it's just how i saved the PNG..

and yeah I was going to have javascript pick between the background classes: bg_1, bg_2, etc. to change the picture, not resize it. Which is I believe why it is taking a while for the site to load.

EDIT: a friend just pointed about what you meant about the navigation! I did not realize it because im just running a 1024 resolution and did not realize I had no frame to home the links. So, I added one so it should be fixed now
    Last edited by AvsH; March 11th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
  11. guru

it looks beautiful now.. well done! The background looks awesome!

as for the png image... you couldnt do me a favour and send me a psd with an example of how you did that! id really appreciate it!

One other thing about the site id change are the big yello titles - make them links e.g. TESTIMONIALS links to a page with all the testimonials and PROJECTS links to porjects etc

ed
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edfollett
    it looks beautiful now.. well done! The background looks awesome!

as for the png image... you couldnt do me a favour and send me a psd with an example of how you did that! id really appreciate it!

One other thing about the site id change are the big yello titles - make them links e.g. TESTIMONIALS links to a page with all the testimonials and PROJECTS links to porjects etc

ed
    Well, I just finished finally finishing the coding of my site, so I added the "Read more testimonials" link at the bottom of them, though just wondering why I should make the header do that as well.

Also, I guess I could, I do not know what else you would like, just it's a transparent background and it's a gradient where the top part is semi transparent.
  15. guru

The reason i'd make the headers links too is simply for ease of navigation. it just means if you get a user who wants to see your testimonials and they see a big shiny yellow word saying testimonials then they are more likely to try and click it. it really is just to make it easier for the end user to navigate
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edfollett
    The reason i'd make the headers links too is simply for ease of navigation. it just means if you get a user who wants to see your testimonials and they see a big shiny yellow word saying testimonials then they are more likely to try and click it. it really is just to make it easier for the end user to navigate
    OK, sounds good I might add that into my busy schedule some time haha. Also, thanks for all the feedback and help
  19. guru

no probs! always a pleasure.

plus tried the old graphics thing with png and it worked a treat! thanks for that hehe

Ed
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Haha yeah no problem I am 99% done with my site, only one thing remains, and that is to figure out how to get the footer to go all the way down to the bottom of the browser, rather than to the bottom of the content, because the pictures overhang the bottom and such, but that's no big deal really.
  23. guru

looks very good now! One thing about the backgorund though! I know its meant to change everytime the page is loaded or refreshed but when i reload the page it loads the original picture then flicks to the new one? are you able to get it to load the new background without the old one being there? not sure how you'd do that!

Other than that it looks awesome!

good luck :-)
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, well I have the body have an initial class which is the first background, than it reads the javascript code and changes, I'll just take that out when I have the chance
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I need help; what would you like to see on my site, lets say your a possible client, what would you like to see on the homepage, lets say, for my web design site? Any information, links that might be useful, etc.?
  29. guru

well what are your main services? do you just design the sites or do you host them too / support them after... who are your main clientele? do you have a USP (unique selling point).. something you offer that no one else does?

As a rule of thumb what ever appears on the front page above the fold has to be the most relevant / important information about your site linking to your main services.

Depending on your clientelle you will need to approach this slightly differently. For personal or SMEs then focusing on price is probably a good starting ground. for larger companies i'd think reliability / stability of coding, down time & post development support would appear on their list as being very important.

let me know and il give you a hand :-)

Ed
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo