I finally got my latest site up and running. This is something new so please give me your honest feedback on it. A brief overview of what my site offers...
BetMyStock gives you the opportunity to bet on the stock market, just as you would bet on a sports game. Rather than investing your money into the stock of a company, we give you the opportunity to make simple predictions one one stock price versus another within a day’s period. We give you a free 10 cents to start out with and you can use that however you wish to gamble with. You can bet on any of our selected stocks or indexes. If your bet is correct at the end of the day, the winning percentage of the event will determine what you receive. If you lose the 10 cents we give you, we’ll give you another free 10 cents. Once your balance reaches $15.00, you can cash out with real cash!
My site is supported by advertisements so essentially the payouts come from clicks on the sponsors.
Please let me know what you think of the idea of the site as well as the design. Thanks!
Comments on this post
Good looking Header.
Color selection is wonderful.
Menu looks great--a pop up menu with contents is suggestible--.
The Topics are neatly sectionalized.
The trend showing the moving averages of the stock is awesome.
Another small search box to find the symbol of any stock is appreciable and helpful to users.
In any case, Good luck with your site.
1. You have HTML errors
2. You have CSS errors
3. On your <title> tag, place the name of the page on there, such as Home | BetMyStock
4. You have a lot of white space in your code. Too much, it will just run up the file size which means you pay more, depending on how many visitors you get.
5. I am not a fan of your indentation either
6. /*Time for design now */ I don't like your font you chose. It looks out of place, especially near the login section
7. Your change button is plain. Try making it an image instead..
8. Edit the nav menu so you can tell what page you are on
9. Try adding some hovor effects to the page in places such as the nav menu
10. Your flash player for the DOW JONES display of the current stock does not work in IE6.
Overall, I like your site. I had to struggle to find a design element I didn't like
Last edited by EricReese; May 25th, 2009 at 02:52 AM.
"Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue
"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
I like the site - and the concept. Its similar to binary betting in the UK, related to stock spread betting.
Its hugely popular here, but I thought it might be banned in the US because of the strict laws?
Fortunately this is not illegal in the states because users are not betting their own money. Therefore they cannot lose anything.
Well done with it, it looks great and professional, so I would trust it (obviously an important issue).
I agree with one of the comments above that the main menu bar needs to have a rollover/hover effect.
Best of luck,
Wattersisere- Thanks for the advice. I will be experimenting with the rollover effect.
June 11th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Moderation: Thread title updated to fit in with the rules.
July 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
yeah that site looks nice
July 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I like the design; very modern (and web2.0 ).
- My gripes include the things said before (current location in the <title>, make the change button more interesting) but I also would suggest that you remove the scrollable area under "Market". Having a tiny scrollable box in the middle of a website just looks bad (in MY opinion).
- Clicking on "My Account" without being logged in just returns you to the front page, maybe you could have it go to a "join us, because we're awesome" page?
- The embedded stock graph on the front page is really cool!
- The tiny size of the page (790px) seems a little constricting on my massive screen. How about having a fluid layout? Maybe a little too much to ask since the page is pretty much done.
August 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Embedded stock graph is cool.
Try to avoid light grayscale text. Hurts the eyes.
November 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
I just went back to this site, after providing an earlier review.
Originally Posted by Skipt
It brought up a warning in IE8 saying it was a suspicious site and there was a phishing message.
What causes these messages? I dont know. But just thought you should be aware as that will definitely put some of you potential customers off.
Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on...
December 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I like it, but i also got the phishing error. You should fix that.
December 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Better already, and the phishing error is now gone.
Originally Posted by sirtaxster
January 23rd, 2010, 03:54 PM