Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Please review new Social Media Data Access website

Hello all,

I am hoping I could get some feedback on a new website that enables you to search/download/access all your social data no matter what social platform it is on (LinkedIn, FaceBook, Twitter)

Please take a look at
    https://datkey.com

and also sign up It's FREE and check it out. It is still very early beta but would love to get everyone's feedback. The site is suppose to be like https://greplin.com but more powerful

thanks all
  3. No Profile Picture

Looks simple and organized, but the graphics are dated and amateur.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmm...

First, your site has a horizontal scroll bar. No need for that EVER.

Your drop shadow is WAY too drastic. Think subtle.

Too much 'white' (unused) space.

I see you're using jQuery. Use jQueryUI for a more 'web 2.0' look.

All of your fonts are serif fonts. Try using sans-serif fonts for things that are not <h#> level.
  7. No Profile Picture

The loading speed of your site is too slow.
    I'm not sure if it is due to my net.
    And i suggest you move your navigation menu to the top of your site.

9. No Profile Picture

Bunch of constructive critisism

Ok, so you have made a start...albeit slow one. Here are some remarks:

1/ Some of your links (in the footer) give a content not found error (404) -> sign that site is not complete and a big NO NO
    2/ Horizontal scroll bar -> big NO NO, as already mentioned there should absolutely be no need for this...especially on this website
    3/ Too much white...and the color scheme needs to be revisited! Its too pale and lacks punch!
    4/ The two screen-shots on your home page??? I must admit, the purpose beats me...if its to show what one can do once connected then it is not clear enough - the visitor should not be required to use exceptional imagination to understand the concept...it should be just clear to him.

Okay...now what I did like:
    1/ The certificate...for me that is a good touch especially that you will be collecting private information and in some cases this can even be viewed as sensitive information depending on what people write about on their social network pages!

Good luck with the fixes and let us know when to re-review
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I fully agree with everything that has been said. Compare your site to greplin. Which would you choose based on first impressions? Graphics go a long way to gaining trust. If your website looks like it came from 1997, then that is where it will likely stay!! The broken links are bad too. If it was just the graphics then that would be not too bad but this is not enough on both the design and development sides. You should get in the habit of getting somethimg done properly as best you can and then looking for feedback. As it stands you have shown us a half finished website. There is absolutely no information i have seen so far that tells me what this website is going to do for me. You have just missed your first chance to aquire some testing users. People will be more inclined to help if you show that you have at least put the effort in to make something look professional. I took the liberty of signing up and it is pretty much the same story once you get inside... Why would i trust a website like that with all my social media data?

Just my constructive criticism and opinion . I am sure you have put a lot of effort in to the coding and you may have a good product on your hands. The execution needs improving though.

Any thoughts??
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for taking a look guys

Really appreciate the input, we are still in early beta and wanted some feedback to make sure we were going in the right direction.

Datkey creates a personal graph of all your content so you can navigate through it (whether it is a file or not) allowing you to select or search for a specific tweet/post/pic/video etc on your social network - and then email/save/download/make pdfs etc.

We rely on SSL security and index content for you. Greplin.com/friendfeed are similar and security wise we all use Oauth so you have total control over the app from your facebook/twitter dashboards.

We've made changes from feedback and feel free to play around with it; sorry for any prior confusion!
  15. No Profile Picture

Cool,

SO I am back for round two:

1) The scrollbar is gone: Good!
    2) Links working: Good!
    3) Red Button: Not entirely visible - probably your testing was not done on my Firefox version... Needs fixing
    4) Next to Collect: The images look like icons, I tried clicking to no avail - maybe consider changing that? (just my thought, nothing too serious.)
    5) There is something I do not like about the home page...don't know what, it just doesn't seem right..is your background a picture? If yes, it needs work!
    6) Screen not large enough...buttons are not entirely visible so I dont know what I am doing once logged on (same problem as point (3)).

Still needs work.
    Good luck
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay, better, but you're still using one font. The vast majority of websites use at least two: One Serif and one Sans-serif.

Next: 640px 400px (scaled to 1,040px 650px) - This means that the image on the page is actually being stretched to fit the div it's in. That's what gives it that fuzzy appearance. Also, this image looks like it's cutting something off, but not as part of the design strategy.

Also, I was able to create a user profile by hitting random keys. You absolutely HAVE to do validation. Design should actually be the last thing you do. Functionality first. While the functionality won't change, the design will.

Have you run your code through validation, yet? Hmm... Pretty bad. Do it by clicking here and entering your URI.

In my opinion, if you want to get serious about this project, I would suggest one of two things: Collaborate with a designer, or, get a template.

Edit: After further consideration, and being that myself and at least one other has commented about the excessive amount of 'white,' or, unused space on the site, you should probably consider making the used space on the site smaller. If you'll investigate the use of space on successfully designed sites (you'll know them when you see them,) most sites don't attempt to utilize the entire viewable area. The vast majority will use about 750-900px of the left side or, more commonly, the center of the page. Another option would be to create what you might call a 'letterbox' style, where equal portions of the top and bottom of the page are unused. Both of these design techniques create a border of the viewable area.

If these things are outside your wheelhouse, again, consider collaborating with someone who knows how this stuff is done.

Also, consider adding at least some content. Explain what your site is about, what it does, and how it would enrich the end-user's life in whatever way it does.
    Last edited by bigsilk; February 4th, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Couple things I noticed;

1)when attempting to sync it with my fb account, it pulls up a new window with no scroll bars. Since it requires so many permissions, the 'accept' and 'deny' buttons cannot even be seen.

2) Also, on the main page where registering - make it possible for the 'enter' key to submit the registration form. Could just be my browser, but I had to click "join" rather than being able to just hit enter. This may be a small issue, but small issues add up.

I'm using firefox 3.6.13 on windows 7 with 1280x1024 screen res.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I surprised to do not see any security of captcha or something like that. You may have to face some spammer's registration if you avoided that.
    Visit ESDS website for Rich Data Center Web Hosting and Software Services at Affordable Costs.
  23. No Profile Picture

replies

Hi again,

We are working on the front-end and will be making these changes. Any further ideas much appreciated!

Any takers for a site design project? private message me if interested.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it looks simple and nice
  27. No Profile Picture

its might be the just begening of this site. site content are very unorganized. but the logo of your site is very cute.

cheers...
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it looks a little too simple and you didn't leave your self room for advertisement which would be good for your type of site.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo