Fire Minded
    Brent Bevans
    43654 Colony dr., Lancaster, CA 93536
    fire.minded.design@gmail.com
    http://www.fireminded.com
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

the new design looks very nice and clean.

However, there are some issues:

Don't rely on JavaScript magic. Not everybody has JavaScript turned on. For example, I use NoScript for security reasons. In your case, this will break the page completely, because it won't even load the content. Since your content definitely doesn't require JavaScript, this is an unnecessary limitation. You should use plain HTML and only add JavaScript on top of it.

You're not using semantic markup at all. It's all just div and span. You should use meaningful elements (h1-h6, ul, emph, ...) so that the document can be understood by itself without looking at the graphical interface. Not everybody has perfect vision. This will also help search engine bots interpret the page content.

You're using way too much inline styling. Get rid of the style attributes and separate the content and the layout.

Your markup isn't valid due to a missing alt attribute.

Your server should not expose the PHP version in the response headers. This is a security issue, because it helps attackers find specific vulnerabilities.

Almost every reference work ends with the sentence

Code:
    Unfortunately, this site is now down and all screenshots of it have been lost.
    To me, this sounds very weird. I immediately ask myself: WTF happened to all those websites when there's not even a screenshot left? You should definitely remove this statement.

I'd generally make this page a bit more appealing with logos and more info, because it's the most important part of the site. Currently, it doesn't really show or tell me anything. There's a bunch of names, but it's all very vague. The only thing to look at is an old page from 2008 and some dummy layout. Not sure if I'd hire somebody based on that.
    The 6 worst sins of securityHow to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why can’t I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unless you are extremely sexy girl or extremely funny grumpy cat, avoid making "About" page your landing page.

And I completely agree - this site has nothing worth of resorting to javascript. Of course if you really want to be SEO-unfriendly you can keep this path, but if it is not your goal, it would be better to make different pages served by server side, so they look like really separate pages with separate urls.
    CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders
  7. web.graphic.print

Yea I'm currently working on some new sites to show off, just some dummies to show off what I can do. After I finish some backend I'm building I'm gonna work on those. I think that's the main problem is I don't have much to show for myself atm.
    Fire Minded
    Brent Bevans
    43654 Colony dr., Lancaster, CA 93536
    fire.minded.design@gmail.com
    http://www.fireminded.com
  9. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you might consider a redesign when you fix the problems mentioned above.

Your site has is not responsive, but it does not degrade well at lower screen sizes either. In fact, it breaks. Since well over half of all internet traffic now is on mobile devices, this is a serious issue unless you know your intended audience very well.

Your portfolio section looks a bit tacky. It has no visual appeal at all.

Your contact section should have a form. Remove the link back to yourself, people will know what site they are on. And you are hard-coding your email into the page. The spammers will love you for making it so easy.

I haven't exactly figured out what it is you do either. Your page should be straight to the point. The visual cues should sell your services before the visitor ever reads a word.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To be entirely honest with you, from a webdesign person/company trying to impress me with their ability/competence I would expect something more than that.

Having said that, I would recommend making the links in the "Portfolio" page clickable, not only the + and -
    All generalizations are false, including this one. Free hosting
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't see any of your actual pages. Maybe you're in the middle of an update or something.
    http://kawaii-nation.com (^._.^)ノ
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The header is far too big, the line spacing between the text too large.

The first four links report that the site is "unfortunately down". I would leave those sites out, and concentrate on 3-5 of my best sites.
  17. No Profile Picture

I think, people want to see pictures in the portfolio area - why aren't there images?

Many people want to use a contact formular - because it's easier than writing a email.
  19. No Profile Picture

Nice work, but portfolio images should be added. Everyone wants to see portfolio images on portfolio site.
  21. No Profile Picture

Good work.The website has been developed in beautiful ways. I like it
  23. No Profile Picture

Wow, Good Job. I like it. Go Ahead Boss.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo