1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Mr Toasts home page

Good morning people

Can I get a review of my site please? I made it when I was bored, but it seems to have taken off quite well. So It may need re-doing or re-organizing.

http://www.djtoastie.co.uk

Ta

Mark.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Learn a graphic design program, such as PhotoShop, so that you can make an interface/template to 'hold' all your data. It's not necessary, however it will make the site look way better, not to mention make it easier on your users (assuming you make it user-friendly). There are all sorts of Photoshop Tutorials on the web, some with Interface tips/help. Actually, just search the Adobe Photoshop section on this site for tutorials...there's a grip of them here.

Good luck.
  5. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

Wow, I don't know if it's supposed to look this way, but it looks very amateur. I'd say ditch the white-text-on-mostly-black-background idea for something more dark-on-light, and make it a bit more modular. Put content into separate pages based on what kind of content it is instead of lumping stuff onto your main page.
  7. No Profile Picture

Mr JHouse - Do you mean make a menu? Not sure what yoiu mean by interface/template.

Mr Arden - Yes it is amateur by myself. I prefer the dark background, there are too many with light backgrounds about. What do you mean by more modular?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by DJ_Toastie
    Mr JHouse - Do you mean make a menu? Not sure what yoiu mean by interface/template.
    Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Then this menu should be on every page. I was also talking about making a frame, so to speak, that would hold all the data. I don't mean html frames, I'm talking like how a frame holds a picture. Most people don't just hang a picture on their wall, they put a frame around it first, then hang it. Same goes for a web site, in most cases.

Good luck.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks, I'll look into the menu & already have done a small makeover to tidy it up a bit. Not quite sure what you mean by holding all data in a frame yet.
  13. No Profile Picture

I have to admit I really don't like it. The start background just doesn't quite do "it" and the font color is just plain...ugly. No offence but try a white background, throw some simple frames in and get rid of the ads
  15. No Profile Picture

Nooooooo, I can't get rid of the background..lol. Hmmm how do you get the frames on the go then? I've got rid of most of the large ads, the small one will go next i reckon (I dont like them much either).
  17. HTML/CSS/Photoshop maven

This would make a good frame:
    Code:
    <div style="border: solid 5px #a00000; background-color: #ccbc96; color: black>Put stuff in here</div>
    You can put the CSS styles into the header or an external style sheet as well, and simply reference it with a class. You can also try other border styles, such as groove(d?).

As for modular, take a look at my site. You'll notice that I have certain content that is the same on each page, such as the navigation, header, and footer. These can each be thought of as separate "modules" which are the same on every page, like car parts are the same on every model of a car.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by Arden
    This would make a good frame:
    Code:
    <div style="border: solid 5px #a00000; background-color: #ccbc96; color: black>Put stuff in here</div>
    You can put the CSS styles into the header or an external style sheet as well, and simply reference it with a class. You can also try other border styles, such as groove(d?).

As for modular, take a look at my site. You'll notice that I have certain content that is the same on each page, such as the navigation, header, and footer. These can each be thought of as separate "modules" which are the same on every page, like car parts are the same on every model of a car.
    Sorry for the delay in replying, I lost the forums address. But I still haven't a clue what your talking about.

P.S I've taken on board some hints and re-done my site a bit, a frame would be nice If I knew how do it
  21. Retired
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Check out these links and learn,

http://www.htmlgoodies.com
    http://www.w3schools.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo