1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Altering Win2k's user names & PW'S...

Greetings,
    I have TWO HDD's.One with Win98 & the other with Win2k. On
    the Win2k.I had forgotten the password,inwhich I feel never was
    an ADMIN one.So I searched the web,and found that -FROM the
    Win98 HDD,I can get into the files of the Win2k,and simply DELETE
    the *SAM* file,which stores PW'S. So,I did this,and REbooted into
    Win2k,and *AGAIN*,upcame the OLD USER NAME asking for my PW.YES,I WAS able to just type in ADMIN and set a NEW password,but EVERYTIME I start\LOG onto Win2k,I am faced with this OLD USER name and asking for it's password,and I must change it to my NOW-ADMINISTRATOR one,WITH my NEW PW !!!

So,does anyone out there know HOW to STOP that OLD USER name & password asking stuff to STOP ,and to ONLY see my NEW ADMIN one with my NEW PW prompt ??? I went into the control Panel and into most of the ADMIN stuff & LOOKED arround,but ONLY saw that there are only TWO things listed-ADMIN & GUEST !

I do NOT necessarily have to AUTO logon with ADMIN rights,as I THINK that I DO want to TYPE in my PASSWORD at EACH startup,
    but I DO want that OLD USER NAME out of my way !!! IS this a hard thing to do ? Please explain this in -Win2k 4 dummies terms.
    THANX so much in ADVANCE !!!

The very Best 2 you all,
    Don

YES,an APPLE a day DOES keep the Doctor Away !!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

download "tweak UI" from www.microsoft.com . i think there you can set the default displayed username for login.
    afaik win2k always remembers the last logged in user unless you either did some registry tweaking or your filesystem is broken...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up REPLY to MY post's reply

Greetings,
    THANX !!! Is this Tweak the item that I really want ? Am I confusing AUTO LOGGON , with just CLEARING OUT an OLD USER name ,so I can NOT have it SHOW ??? THANX AGAIN SIR !!!

The Best Day 2 Ya,

DONALD :-)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo