1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner...setting up a Win 200 Server server with PHP, mySQL and Access database

I just bought my first server (P4 1.8A, 512 cache, 1 gig ram), so I can get my client's site (concourseclub.ca) functional for now, and can start developing active pages for myself and clients in the future--to be moved to dedicated hosts when up and running.

I need to run vBulletin which requires PHP and mySQL, and the search engine, user profiles, etc., I'm creating in Access.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what I need to do to get started?

1) install Win 2000 Server
    2) install Apache?
    3) install Frontpage with Server Extensions (to get the Access database online)?
    4) install PHP, mySQL...?
    5) get vBulletin and install
    6) go from there...

Have I got it even close? The nitty-gritty of each step I'll fumble through as I go, but the general sequence and software is what I need to get acquainted with first.

Shawn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have a suggestion: Why don't you install Apache, MySql and php? This site has good step by step tutorials on getting it done. There are even sites out there that have everything bundled for one easy download and install.

Mantas
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Good suggestion

This stuff will be driving me bonkers until Friday-next, which is when I pick up my server. I'm sure it's a lot simpler than my confuddling brain is making it all out to be.

Shawn
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

9. Contributing User

Good link that, after a quick read through, its very basic, and extremely annoying that they have spelt previous wrong at the bottom of the pages
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ya I noticed some annoying half-finished sentences, too. I'll keep looking. Good starting point, though...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here is a pretty good link WAMP
    Also do a search in this forum for WAMP.

You won't have to wait for your server, you can just download it and run it on your computer. It doesn't take up to much space and it's great when you can quickly test your scripts and queries.

Mantas
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wonderful, Thanks Mantas.

Shawn
  17. No Profile Picture

I run my site using a WAMP server, which includes w2k server w/SP3, Apache ver2.0.39, MySQL ver3.23.49, and php 4.2.2. I downloaded a bundled package called PHP Home from sourceforge.net. It's very easy and straight forward. If you need I also documented the procedures and could post them. I also run vBulletin 2.2.7 and vbPortal 3.0. Haven't had any problems, except for trying to learn how to ensure proper site access with Apache and getting my Gallery to work, which doesn't appear to like this version of PHP, other than that, it's a sweet product.
    I tried installing the 3 seperate, but kept running into problems with the PHP install, but I think that was user error on my part. Also download MySQL Front or myphpadmin.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phphome/
    http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

HTH

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo