1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Black Screen after Account Login (Win 7)

Hello,

I recently have been having overheating issues with my laptop for the past year. Two or so months ago, it got so bad that it would just shut off randomly (obviously its probably due to the heat of summer)

Anyway, so I opened it up, and cleaned it out with a dust cleaner, got some good dust trails out, especially out of the video card fan, but overall, it really wasn't that dusty.

So, its running ALOT more cooler now than I remember it (keep in mind, I haven't used this in weeks because I knew this thing wouldn't last more than 5 or 10 minutes without shutting off)

The only way I can actually use this thing is in Windows 7 Safe Mode, which is okay, but kind of restrictive in terms of not being able to use a lot of things (plus its not even what this was designed for lol).

Anyway, the main issue is that I get a black screen after I hit my account's picture that comes after the Windows welcome screen.

Apparently, other people with my Asus laptop have had the same problem, but there's no fix apparently...

Any ideas on what to do?

My laptop is an Asus K50AB series laptop, running Windows 7 64 bit.

I am considering resorting to Linux but have no way to backup the music on this thing, otherwise, it would be no issue just to wipe the drive and run Ubuntu.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why not run the machine for a while on a linux live cd and see if you have any problems.

If your black screen isn't from the laptop chip overheating and shutting off, check for viruses. Many malwares will block the desktop from displaying after login, and most don't activate in safe mode, which would explain why safe mode still works for you.

Or try adding a new user on the machine and see if a new user profile works properly, perhaps you just have some corruption in files in your exsiting user profile, possibly from the machine shutting off in the past.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay, I'm running a full system scan with Avast now, hopefully itll find something
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I recommend also scanning with malwarebytes. I actually have more faith in malwarebytes than avast.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doug G
    I recommend also scanning with malwarebytes. I actually have more faith in malwarebytes than avast.
    You got it.

Haha, I left the room for just like 5 minutes having it sit on my bed, and it turned itself off apparently.

The bottom of it was pretty damn hot, I guess the venting slits is completely horrible on this thing.

Either way, I'll download malwarebytes and try that too, thanks.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

You shouldn't set a laptop down on a bed or blanket. It blocks the fan and airflow for cooling. Nearly all laptop fans suck air up from the bottom and soft bedspreads & such will block that air.

You can buy laptop stands with external usb cooling fans, and a number of other laptop cooling accessories, maybe yours runs hot enough to warrant the investment.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doug G
    You shouldn't set a laptop down on a bed or blanket. It blocks the fan and airflow for cooling. Nearly all laptop fans suck air up from the bottom and soft bedspreads & such will block that air.

You can buy laptop stands with external usb cooling fans, and a number of other laptop cooling accessories, maybe yours runs hot enough to warrant the investment.
    Good point, I do have a cooling fan.

Though, do cooling fans ruin the laptop in the long run?

Maybe its an old wives tale or something but I remember reading that somewhere heh.

Either way, I'm going to also check out the Ubuntu live cd to try it out without installing to see if it runs better than Windows 7.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo