1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't get ATI Graphics Drivers working...

Having just done a Clean Install, I cannot get the ATI Drivers working at all, for some reason

The only relevant message I get is

The AMD Vision Engine Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager
    And from the Event Manager

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin\SetACL.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    I've tried to resolve these, but using Displays Manager doesn't help, nor things like installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 & 2005 Redistributable Packages separately helps.

It also occurs whether I'm using the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Ultimate or Premium

I've tried Googling the first message for help, without success

Using Windows 7 Premium x64
    ASUS M5 A97 Pro
    AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Eight Core 8120 Black Edition 3.10Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor
    XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB
    8 GBs Corsair 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance

(No onboard gfx)

Before I did the Clean Install, I had the same hardware running on Win7 Ultimate, though I had changed the MoBo\RAM\CPU, without doing a clean install

I do have the 2 hotfixes installed for Bulldozer:

KB2645594
    KB2646060

These are about allowing Win7 to take better advantage of the 8 cores on the Bulldozer; I have the same problem with the Gfx driver whether they're installed or not...but I'm grasping at straws a bit at this stage...

I suspect it's just some silly small thing I'm missing....

Any help appreciated! Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What happens when you uninstall the display adapter (and associated drivers) using device manager, download the drivers from AMDs site, reboot, and then re-install the downloaded drivers?
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey Seak, thanks for your reply m8

Exactly the same thing. I've tried it half a dozen times, for x32 bit & x64 bit Gfx drivers on different versions of install, also customized drivers from TweakForce, all with the same result. A mate leant me his installation disc to work with, with the same result

I've just this minute gone back to the original BIOS version, which I'm hoping will help, as well as turning off support for USB3, which I don't yet need...

Still a bit bereft of ideas, so the BIOS roll-back is the last guess for me....
  7. No Profile Picture

...but the BIOS roll-back didn't help. I'm at a loss now, so any help appreciated!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I assume this isn't an "onboard" gfx card, but a stand-alone
    PCI-Express card? If you do have an onboard card and this card, try disabling the onboard card in BIOS; though admittedly this shouldn't matter but it's a quick simple test. Also, what's the Event ID number you're getting?
    Last edited by seack79; March 8th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

Yeah, no oboard Gfx, but a standalone ATI Radeon HD 5870 PCIe

The Event ID is 33, but this just seems to apply to the AMD Vision Engine Center Control element of the ATI Catalyst Package

I don't think this -which seems to be related to DLL versioning conflicts, despite this being a valid package from ATI Driver Downloads- is the base problem. I believe it may be related, but not the underlying issue

Someone gave me standalone DD & OCL Gfx Drivers Packages, from before ATI started doing their packages as completely rolled together. I still had the same prob with these. ATI also used to have their own sub entries collected together in the Event Manager, but unfortunately don't seem to do that any more

The base probem seems to be that the Gfx driver won't load after install...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What is the error code in device manager for the graphics card? What is the hardware ID if you look under details? We will be able to double check the drivers with that.
  15. No Profile Picture

I can't see a valid, relevant error code. The only one I have seen is the 33 one for one of the modules of the Catalyst installation, but this isn't the underlying prob

When I install the Gfx driver and reboot, it goes straight from the Windows boot, with the coloured squares making the window, to a desktop, without Explorer running at all: IE no taskbar, no start menu etc, no explorer at all. Just the background wallpaper showing. It's bypassing the login page; though I've got it auto logging in, it usually shows the login page before the Windows wallpaper, which is the way it goes, if I run it without the ATI gfx driver, just the standard VGA Gfx driver

I suspect it's something more basic, maybe a Hardware prob of some kind....

So I'm taking it apart tomorrow & rebuilding it, see if I can narrow it down...
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If the Windows GUI isn't loading (explorer.exe) you have something other than a display driver causing the issue. A display driver not loading/installing will not prevent explorer.exe from loading, but the resolution, colors, and 3D hardware acceleration will not work; you may also get blue screens pointing to a faulty .sys file related to the card. I would suggest wiping the OS and starting out fresh. You can try reseating the card for giggles.
  19. No Profile Picture

Well I worked it out......

Tidy minded dope that I am, I'd plugged the TV into the HDMI slot on the back of the Gfx card....and forgotten about it. The driver was loading, but the screen was showing on the TV...

Oh dear. I feel a right plonker now, which is probably quite right....I was hoping it was something simple and don't mind too much, being consigned to plonker -dom, but it would be nice if it wasn't quite so embarrasingly stupid!

Let that be a lesson to you all!

Thanks for taking an interest & trying to help, Seak, I do appreciate it m8

Nick
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was starting to wonder. The more you talked about the symptoms, the more it didn't sound like a driver issue. Sometimes a fresh start is the simplest answer; glad you got it figured out!
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo