1. The weaks shouldn't be ignored
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry How to check which audio driver is required?

Hi,

I have got XP 32bit installed on my system but since i lost my drivers cd, i'm unable to install a correct audio driver.

And the worst part is i dont know how to determine exactly which driver is required by my system.

I have an ASRock motherboard & hence thought that an audio driver from ASRock would do. But while trying to install it, it says that it cant find one "A*.sys" file. (Sorry i dont remember the name of the file it asked for) & i tried searching for the file in the driver's folder but couldnt. So i couldnt install the audio driver.

Also, i suppose that my inbuilt sound card is OK because then otherwise no other audio drivers would be installed. It would have thrown an error right while trying to install one.

Can anyone help me determine which driver I need & also where can i find it....plzzzz

This problem has really got me mad
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail
    - Benjamin Franklin
  3. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't know much about your audio driver but AC-97 audio driver works most of the time.
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Chances are that it will be the AC'97 driver, but don't go installing it without making sure as you should never install the wrong drivers.

As you've re-installed XP, go to the Windows Update site and choose which updates to install and under 'Hardware', there is every chance your Audio driver will be listed there. Failing that, if you post back with the model number of your mobo, I'll have a wee look for you.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo