1. They're coming to take me away

Cli.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services error

So there's this computer with a cli.exe error that pops up whenever the computer is turned on and logs into windows (win xp). From everything I have read, it's a problem with the Catalyst Control Panel from ATI. This is a dell optiplex 320 (prebuilt machine). So not sure what the exact model is of the ATI card. I'm trying to figure out the best way to correct this error. I'm assuming I could uninstall the program (which I was going to try), but this computer has other problems as well. Programs take awhile to load up. When I click on a program, such as IE, it shows the hourglass, but the window doesn't appear. However, through Task Manager, I can see iexplore.exe is loaded.

I can't view add/remove programs either, or go to Windows Update, as everything seems to freeze. I ran spybot/ad-aware, and have Trend Micro SMB anti-virus installed (no viruses were detected).

The only thing that I have determined, is that the desktop was moved by the employee around the time this error started occurring. Any thoughts as to what I should try? Could the vid. card have been damaged when he moved it, as to cause errors like this?

Thanks for any input.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

First thing I would do is update the video card drivers. Most new video drivers from ATI also include a new version of the Catalyst - try that first.

As for the other issues - when was the last time the machine was defragged ? Is this a clients machine ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    First thing I would do is update the video card drivers. Most new video drivers from ATI also include a new version of the Catalyst - try that first.

As for the other issues - when was the last time the machine was defragged ? Is this a clients machine ?
    Does ATI have a generic driver/catalyst package? As this is a prebuilt, not sure what the exact model number is for the vid card.

Haven't defragged the computer, as these are all rather new machines (no more than 2 months old). This particular computer isn't used that frequently, as the employee using it is hardly ever in the office. But I can try defragging it to see if that takes care of the problem.

Yes, this is a clients machine.
  7. Contributing User

Is IE7 loading under safe mode, if so, fire it up, and Help/About and click the system info button, the inforamtion you're looking for should be in 'Components' under the display section. If any of the MS Office Apps are loading correctly, the sysinfo control can be found under Help/About

I really like the AVG Anti Spyware which will allow you a 30 day free trial even for commercial use Couldn't hurt to run the AVG antivirus either.

Care to post a HiJack This log, this sounds more like a trace problem.

Have you tried using msconfig to profile the machine to load only necessary services and startup programs.

Have a look for some Disk and memory testing applications, as dodgy RAM can yield similar results
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  9. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Is IE7 loading under safe mode, if so, fire it up, and Help/About and click the system info button, the inforamtion you're looking for should be in 'Components' under the display section. If any of the MS Office Apps are loading correctly, the sysinfo control can be found under Help/About

I really like the AVG Anti Spyware which will allow you a 30 day free trial even for commercial use Couldn't hurt to run the AVG antivirus either.

Care to post a HiJack This log, this sounds more like a trace problem.

Have you tried using msconfig to profile the machine to load only necessary services and startup programs.

Have a look for some Disk and memory testing applications, as dodgy RAM can yield similar results
    Thanks.. Yea, IE7 works fine in Safe Mode (with networking also). I'll take a look at the Help/About (although, never used IE7 personally, so not sure exactly what should and shouldn't be there).

I considered AVG anti-spyware, but know that's really time consuming, but I'll run that scan as well. And I'll post a Hijack This log when I get back there (possibly tomorrow).

I'll also see what msconfig brings up.

Thanks for the input.
  11. Providing fuel for space ships

ATI doesn't do generic drivers, but you can find out the model of the graphics card by running 'dxdiag'.

What are the specs of the machine ?

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  13. They're coming to take me away

ATI doesn't do generic drivers, but you can find out the model of the graphics card by running 'dxdiag'.

What are the specs of the machine ?
    Optiplex 320, P4 3.00 Ghz, 512mb ram, 160 gb hd. Didn't realize the vid. card was listed... ATI radeon x300.

Let me try reinstalling the catalyst and see if that takes care of the one problem..

Thanks.

Edit: Actually, I need to find out what's causing the other problem(s) first, as I think I mentioned above that I can't add/remove through the console. Unless there's another way of uninstalling Catalyst and the driver. From the start menu, there wasn't an Uninstall option.
    Last edited by hiker; April 5th, 2007 at 09:18 AM.
  15. Providing fuel for space ships

You don't need to uninstall the driver/catalyst, you can just install the new one over the top of it.

Can you get the listing in Add/Remove programs or does it simply not appear ?

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  17. Contributing User

This far down the line, a factory reinstall from the Dell Rcovery partition is probably in order, you'll be back up and running within 30 mins of backing up your files, you'll just need to reinstall applications installed since delivery

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : Alright.. thanks for the help. I considered doing that as well, but was hoping this may have just been a quick fix... but it's looking like it's not.
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  19. Providing fuel for space ships

^^ That's probably the best option to be honest. Would save a lot of time in the long run as it sounds like this machine could have more problems.

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : ^^

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  21. They're coming to take me away

You don't need to uninstall the driver/catalyst, you can just install the new one over the top of it.

Can you get the listing in Add/Remove programs or does it simply not appear ?
    The listing doesn't appear. The window opens, but nothing populates. I can click on the tabs at the left (Ex. Add Windows Components, etc).
  23. Providing fuel for space ships

What about the System Restore and Help and Support centre, do they populate ?

Do you still have the XP disk ?

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  25. Contributing User

If it's a relatively new Dell, there should be a hidden partition to perform factory restores (F11, I think), don't have documentation to hand
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  27. Providing fuel for space ships

For Add/Remove programs though, we could try to re-register the 'appwiz.cpl' - it could be damaged or corrupted. To do this, go to Start > Run and type 'regsvr32 appwiz.cpl' (without the quotes) and the press enter. After this try and enter Add/Remove programs.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  29. They're coming to take me away

For Add/Remove programs though, we could try to re-register the 'appwiz.cpl' - it could be damaged or corrupted. To do this, go to Start > Run and type 'regsvr32 appwiz.cpl' (without the quotes) and the press enter. After this try and enter Add/Remove programs.
    I just returned from the clients location, and informed him to back up all of his data. I'm going to format and reinstall tomorrow morning as that does seem to be the quickest and easiest fix.

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : know when to expend energy, and most importantly, when not to ....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo