Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. המבין יבין
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Open Control Panel as Administrator

How can I open the Control Panel as the Administrative account on Windows XP Pro SP2? Although I could not open it as the administrative account I right-clicked on the Users (translated) icon in the hopes that there would be a "open as user..." option, but there is none. I currently have some programs running that I must monitor and I cannot switch users.

Thank you.

Dotan Cohen
  3. Who set my Title?
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Code:
    c:\windows> runas /user:Machinename\Administrator "Control.exe"
    Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody.
  5. המבין יבין

Originally Posted by LaughingBelly
    Code:
    c:\windows> runas /user:Machinename\Administrator "Control.exe"
    Thank you. The actual name of that account is "root". Replacing "Administrator" with root did not do what I expected. I got a command line. Although the path was on the line, I instictivly typed pwd (linux command). The window disappeared (I think that it printed something that I did not have time to read first) and now I cannot get it back- I am told that another user is using the file!

How to kill it? I am looged in as an unprivledged user.

Dotan Cohen
  7. Who set my Title?

uh.. wait - where did you run that from?

use the windows command prompt to run it.
    Start->Run-> cmd

when you type that command in, with root as the user name, it should prompt you for a password. once you type that in, it will start the program or show an error. that window will not close.
  9. המבין יבין

Originally Posted by LaughingBelly
    uh.. wait - where did you run that from?

use the windows command prompt to run it.
    Start->Run-> cmd

when you type that command in, with root as the user name, it should prompt you for a password. once you type that in, it will start the program or show an error. that window will not close.
    I typed it directly into the Run box. Now that I try it in the cmd prompt, same behaviour. For machine name, I am using ETY, which I remember setting at install time. I have click on just about everything (I don't like guis), but I cannot verify that this is the correct name of the machine. Where, oh where, did Bill hide that precious piece of information?!? Is there no equivelent of localhost or 127.0.0.1?

Thanks for putting up with me.
  11. Who set my Title?

type hostname at command prompt to get the machine name.
  13. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

To be easier - Navigate to:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32
    And then navigate to 'control.exe', right-click and select 'Run-As' and select the user you want to use.
  15. המבין יבין

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    To be easier - Navigate to:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32
    And then navigate to 'control.exe', right-click and select 'Run-As' and select the user you want to use.
    Thnaks. That gets me the option of doing it at least. I fail because it appears that I don't have the proper permissions (evem though I correctly enter the password), but I'll troubleshoot that myself. I need to learn a little more about windows' security model.

By the way, is there no equivelent to linux's "su" command in DOS? I have been googleing and cannot find it. Actually, I cannot find a listing of all the DOS commands, just 'short lists'- even on Microsoft's website. I have found tables of DOS->Linux commands and very short Linux->DOS command tables, but nothing comprehensive. If someone would help me with the commands, I would gladly produce such a list and publish it at http://dotancohen.com

Dotan Cohen
  17. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As far as I'm aware, there is no equivalent of the "su" command in DOS and never has been, unfortunately.

For a quick list of some DOS commands and their descriptions, have a look at Computerhope. If you are just starting out using DOS, it's a really good place to start.

Comments on this post

• dotancohen agrees : Great link- I can;t believe that I skupped over it in google
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(Oo;?(DOS is completely single user OS. Some multi-user version (not MS?) seemed to be existed once, though.)

However WindowsNT had had su.exe in its resource kit (Off course works on NT console only not on DOS)and it seems to work in recent 2000, XP, probably if available. But as Windows is psedo-multi user OS and admin is not equivalent to root. Other users failures easily affect whole system, hence not so much meaning in avoiding Administrator like Linux. Any users are just shadows of one admin. Maybe you can't gain Admin right when you truly want it.
  21. <- My daily commute :^)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

There is a Sourceforge project with Windows ports for many of the utilities you'll miss when going to a DOS environment here . This package does include "su", but I've never been able to get it to work - possibly due to my own mental density, or possibly because it can't behave in a *nix-like manner in Windows.

So anyway, this may not solve this exact problem, but perhaps you'll find other stuff useful.
    Last edited by mrider; January 11th, 2006 at 11:44 AM.
    A -> B: Ride.
  23. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

You could make a shortcut on your desktop using the run as, but have it start up "iexplore" (Internet Explorer). Once its open, use that window to browse around to wherever you want, and you'll still be logged in as the admin account.
  25. המבין יבין

Originally Posted by megumi amatuka
    (Oo;?(DOS is completely single user OS. Some multi-user version (not MS?) seemed to be existed once, though.)

However WindowsNT had had su.exe in its resource kit (Off course works on NT console only not on DOS)and it seems to work in recent 2000, XP, probably if available. But as Windows is psedo-multi user OS and admin is not equivalent to root. Other users failures easily affect whole system, hence not so much meaning in avoiding Administrator like Linux. Any users are just shadows of one admin. Maybe you can't gain Admin right when you truly want it.
    I _did_ look at that site- it is the first hit in a google of "dos commands". I don't remember why I discounted it, becuase now that i am looking at it again it seems pretty good.

As far as windows being multiple user- I soon discovered that the different users CAN modify system files (even if they are not Admins) as long as they avoid the gui (and viruses are not, so far as I know, gui-dependant!), and that being a limited user means that I can't open adaware in a seperate window. So the machine is back to the 'standard' windows way- one user with Admin rights.

It is amazing that why you try to install Firefox as a regular user in XP, it just 'reminds' you that you don't have permission to install, and then asks you if you would like to install anyway!!! Is that security?!? When I connected my Dell Axim x50v to Activesync the firewall popped up and asked if I wanted to let it connect. If you don't answer right away, then you can see it syncing in the background window. At that point, if you click NO then it blocks further transmissions, but the Dell already synced!!! That's security?!??? I could go on...

Dotan Cohen
  27. המבין יבין

Originally Posted by Veamon
    You could make a shortcut on your desktop using the run as, but have it start up "iexplore" (Internet Explorer). Once its open, use that window to browse around to wherever you want, and you'll still be logged in as the admin account.
    That's a great trick! But I disabled the seperate Admin account- my previous post describes why. However, this may be good to know in the future- I am writting this tip down in my bag of tricks.

News flash: Fedora Core 5 will include mono! So maybe the few windows programs that I DO like (such as BrilliantPhoto) may become workable on linux! Yippie!!!
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by dotancohen
    I _did_ look at that site- it is the first hit in a google of "dos commands". I don't remember why I discounted it, becuase now that i am looking at it again it seems pretty good.

As far as windows being multiple user- I soon discovered that the different users CAN modify system files (even if they are not Admins) as long as they avoid the gui (and viruses are not, so far as I know, gui-dependant!), and that being a limited user means that I can't open adaware in a seperate window. So the machine is back to the 'standard' windows way- one user with Admin rights.

It is amazing that why you try to install Firefox as a regular user in XP, it just 'reminds' you that you don't have permission to install, and then asks you if you would like to install anyway!!! Is that security?!? When I connected my Dell Axim x50v to Activesync the firewall popped up and asked if I wanted to let it connect. If you don't answer right away, then you can see it syncing in the background window. At that point, if you click NO then it blocks further transmissions, but the Dell already synced!!! That's security?!??? I could go on...

Dotan Cohen
    Is your harddrive formatted in NTFS. if it is, then ordinary users should not be able to tamper with system files. when it is formatted in ntfs, check the security status of the windows directory. make sure that it is set so only members in administrator group can modify
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo