1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Another date batch file question

Sorry for the repost as I assume this has been covered multiple times. I just cant seem find anything specific to workout. I want a specific format for a file name to be created for users in a directory as shown

"Wed_May09-2012"

thats the format, this backup is performed every Wednesday so the "Wed_" part doesnt need to be changed. (just month, day and year)

the directory in question is:

mkdir C:\Student_data_folders\Student1\Shapefiles\APK\Current_MM\

how do I go about doing this so that Wed_ is in the file name with the specific date format?
  3. No Profile Picture

Please be more specific about the format. May is a horrible example.

Are you looking for:
    a) Wed_Jan03-2012
    b) Wed_January03-2012

I can tell you from doing things like this I usually prefer <year>-<month>-<day> as it sorts properly. Also, is using the Wed a requirement? If it will always be Wednesday, why do you need it?
    Last edited by Eremius; May 22nd, 2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: New ideas
  5. No Profile Picture

Ah yes, I should have clarified this more. Three letter month should be fine, Jan, May, Jun, etc. The Wed doesn't have to be on there I guess, it's just that the users I'm dealing with aren't the sharpest and may put their work in a different file (there's also language barriers too).

So 3 digit month, followed by day then 4 digit year would be the best.

I'm just having a hard time doing this for each user. I don't have a lot of experience with batch files. The \Student1\ part would be from Student1....Student17. I don't want to make a separate line for each student but if I have to I will. Thereís also another part, the \APK\ for each user changes too. The 3 subfolders are \APK, \FRE, \PIN. So as you can see it would be a lot of lines for 17 Students with 3 date stamped folders in each. Thatís why Iím here because I know thereís an easier way, something like a For statement I just donít know how to use it properly.

So to recap:

ďJUN06-2012Ē could be a potential name for the folder, and I need to find out how to do if for each Student.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo