1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Default Print Settings in IE

I all. I am new to this forum; a co-worker recommended this site to me if I needed any help regarding most computer related problems so I have decided to give it a shot. He said he's gotten most the help he's ever needed.

My problem is that I want IE to set the default page size to "legal" instead of "letter". Everytime I change it, it changes back when I close IE. Any suggestions anyone? This girl needs some help and any advice would be appreciated!!! Thanks a lot!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I forgot the technical term for this but for Internet Explorer 5.5 and up it has a feature in it that stores the old settings. The only way that I have heard to "fix" this is to open internet explorer once, change the setting, open another instance of it, change the setting again, open just one more instance, change the setting, then close all internet explorer instances, this should save that setting. I'm not totally sure if there is a patch for this or not and I know this sounds stupid but it is the only fix i know of lol.
    "I dislike duals. If a man were to challenege me to a dual, i'd lead him lovingly and forgivingly to a quiet place, and kill him" ~Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture

PartieHonteuse, I was very excited to read your response but unfortunately, your solution didn't work for me. I tried it a few times but it dodn't work. I'm not sure if it "Page Size" is different than the other settings since if I adjust the margins or the headers and footers IE saves my last setting. But if I change it to "legal" IE always changes it back to "letter"

Even if it didn't work, thanks for the advice!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well that's no good. Sorry I made you do all that stuff and it didn't even work. I've searched all over the place for your answer but no one else seems to be having this problem. The only other solution that I can offer is try using this little registry tweak. When XP first came out it wasnt saving users settings when shutting down or logging off. It's from Kelly's-Korner.com, she's an MS MVP and knows what she's doing, although if this is a work computer I wouldn't go about messing with it.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...vesettings.reg

that reminds me actually. Is this a work computer??? If it is are you an administrator on it? If this is a work computer you may have to be an administrator to change that setting for good. Contact your network admin, and ask .
    "I dislike duals. If a man were to challenege me to a dual, i'd lead him lovingly and forgivingly to a quiet place, and kill him" ~Mark Twain
  9. No Profile Picture

IE takes the default paper size from the default settings of the default printer. So, assuming you have the appropriate access rights, go to the start menu; select settings; and select printers. This should bring up a window with printer icons on it. Right click on the printer icon that has the little black checkmark on it (this is windows' way of identifying the current default printer). Select the properties option. Hunt around in the settings that are provided. Somewhere (this depends on the version of the OS and the printer) there will be a place that will allow you to set the default paper size for the printer. Change it to what you want and exit. Start up IE and select page setup from the file menu. The default paper size should now be what you want.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo