1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Disable cmd auto complete (win8)

Hey does anyone know how to disable cmd auto complete for windows 8. I'm talking about when pressing up/down cursor keys it erases current line and types recent commands. I tried changing the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar" to 0 with no luck.

thanks, Ryan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Using the up/down arrows to navigate command history has been a feature of the windows command prompt for , like, forever.

I don't know if you can disable the behavior, I don't think you can.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It is very useful when using a regular keyboard, but when I'm using my laptop, I have my shift key right beside it and I can't count how many times I'm about to close a parenthesis and erase the whole line accidentally. I guess it's not too big of an issue just an annoyance.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like you already found this page: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/commandpromptoptions.mspx?mfr=true

I just tried setting the command history buffer size to 0 on my windows 7 machine, it defaulted back to 1 but it still would retrieve the one previous command on an uparrow. This probably wouldn't solve your problem since even one retrieved line would erase what you're typing.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah I just tried it with same effect. I guess I'll just have to live with it, for the amount of time of time I actually use cmd on my laptop it's not the worst thing in the world. Thanks for trying though, appreciate it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo