1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My Docs on Terminal Server to My Docs on client folder redirection

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of way to redirect the My Documents folder on a terminal server to the user's my documents folder once he logs into a terminal server...and have this done by a group policy.

I've seen a few pages online that are pretty close to what I want to accomplish, but not exactly that. What I need is redirection from My Docs on TS to My Docs on client. Not to a network share.

Under Group Policy Management, there is a setting for folder redirection, but given I'd like to have this applied to all users, the redirection path I figure would have to look something like:

\\tsclient\C\document and Settings\%username%\My Documents

However, it won't accept that path, nor does it seem to have a setting specifically for My Docs to My Docs...only allowing for paths for specific user accounts...not a generic path applicable to all users.

Any thoughts?
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think what you want is what they call "Roaming Profiles".
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What version of TS are you using?
    Last edited by sporky12; October 11th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wouldn't roaming profiles require the files to be copied between the nodes? What I'd like is more like a mapping....or rather at log on the target location of the My Documents folder on the Terminal Server is changed to the path "\\tsclient\C\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents.

I'm testing this on a 03 Server, but would likely be run live on 08.

Thanks for the help so far!

Let me know your thoughts.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by charlieb_j
    Wouldn't roaming profiles require the files to be copied between the nodes? What I'd like is more like a mapping....or rather at log on the target location of the My Documents folder on the Terminal Server is changed to the path "\\tsclient\C\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents.

I'm testing this on a 03 Server, but would likely be run live on 08.

Thanks for the help so far!

Let me know your thoughts.
    Yes roaming profiles requires a central location. This is the recomended method for folder redirection In TS acording to MS.

The problem with setting your folder path is that would only work on 2003/XP that path and folder will not work on Vista/2008/Win7 As the path is changed to C:\users\%username%\My Documents on those systems.
  11. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

One thought I had, but requires some additional work would be to script the users' login to go bind/map a drive to their local machine. Something as simple as \\computername\c$\Document might work, but would require additional setup for each machine and such, you couldn't do a global script.

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo