Thread: Drivers

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Drivers

I have just reinstalled my operating system on my laptop. Problem is I have no drivers installed.
    I would need a program that I could install on my laptop and that would scan for what drivers I need then let me take the scanned list on my computer(which has internet connection) and download them. Is there any such program?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've never tried any programs that detect needed drivers so I can't make any recommendation but if you know the model of you computer your best bet is to just go to the manufacturer's website. It will have all the drivers, minus any parts that were installed after purchase.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Good News
    I've never tried any programs that detect needed drivers so I can't make any recommendation but if you know the model of you computer your best bet is to just go to the manufacturer's website. It will have all the drivers, minus any parts that were installed after purchase.
    Yeah done that problem is I was not finding my model on their website. I found a driver for my router and eventually fixed all my drivers.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just did this yesterday. I read on a forum the best way to do this. I did not use one of those free download driver things. You can get the information you need and then download the file from a reliable site like Gateway, Intel or whatever.

Now you have not said any particulars, mine was Windows XP and so this works for that OS. You need to go to your Device Manager. If you don't have a driver, you will have the yellow exclamation points. Right click on one of the ones you don't have, I would suggest you do the network one first so you can get an internet connection. You may need to expand out the device folder. Then click on Properties. Then click on Details. Under details you will see some long numbers. Click on the drop-down menu option and choose Hardware Ids. The forum told me to pick the second one. You will have to hand write it down as there is not a copy and paste option. Take that number and do a search. Pick one of the sites that is for your computer and it will have the exe file. It will be something like D00664-001-001.exe. Assuming you are on another computer, download that file to a thumb drive and then open that file up on the computer that needs the drivers. It will do a small transfer type window. If your anti-virus is running, it may find it suspicious, so let it do its thing and then once it is okay, have it complete the process within the anti-virus window. I did not do that the first time and then couldn't figure out why nothing happened. When you are done, go to your C: drive and click on the Cabs folder. Inside that, you will find the, for example, D00664-001-001.exe, open that folder and then find the setup file, or the one that is exe. It will open an installation process. Let it do that and you should have your driver and that yellow warning will go away. If this works for you, it is very important that you now remember those drivers and copy then all onto a CD for backup. Good luck. If someone knows a better way, let me know.

PS: PRO2K3XP_32.exe This is the driver that I think is a pretty common one to run your network adapter to get you the internet for the plug-in.
    Last edited by cea; July 30th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo