AMD A45 Fusion chipset
    2 GB DDR3 RAM (8 GB maximum)
    250 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD±RW SuperMulti drive
    Integrated AMD Radeon HD6310 graphics
    Integrated audio
    Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Multi-in-one digital media card reader

I bought this off someone who had purchased a week prior,but sold it cheap to pay rent-I live in a college type area and this happens now and again. Everything was in great condition and all I added was a new litescribe dvd burner. Since the first time I started it up, it has run incredibly slow. While I am aware its processor is nothing fantastic, it had specs loads better than my old desktop yet runs much slower. My main use is simple web browsing and word processing, using mainly chrome and ms office. Any more than 4 tabs open on chrome with no other programs up and it starts to crawl. If I have multiple programs open,say chrome with office, it goes even slower, I've run the diagnostics windows includes and everything looks fine but yet it still goes incredibly slow.
    I ran the repair disk to no effect, and my next step was to reinstall 7, or drop down to either vista or xp. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if more info is needed!

EDIT: Also ran several malware/virus scans using malwarebytes, avst, norton, etc. All scans came back clean
  3. No Profile Picture
    Still Learning
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The first thing to look at is the last thing you did to the system.
    The DVD may have a newer driver for it. There may be physical config issue (jumpers) , that you would have to check the install Manuel for the DVD.

Run task manager and see if something is running using a lot of CPU, from boot up in the background.

If its not that ask the person who you bought it from if they added any software. Also did he buy it used? If so, just for caution, maybe you should reimage it. You don't want use a used toothbrush.

If you
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by admiraln
    The first thing to look at is the last thing you did to the system.
    The DVD may have a newer driver for it. There may be physical config issue (jumpers) , that you would have to check the install Manuel for the DVD.

Run task manager and see if something is running using a lot of CPU, from boot up in the background.

If its not that ask the person who you bought it from if they added any software. Also did he buy it used? If so, just for caution, maybe you should reimage it. You don't want use a used toothbrush.

If you
    I added the dvd burner in place of the existing burner about 2 months into owning it. Before that it was still running just as slow so the dvd burner should be ok.

Every time it hits a heavy lag, I did as you mentioned and ran task manager, yet nothing hit higher than usual in cpu usage.

The original owner got it new,complete with receipt, and only added some junk coupon software which I removed and than scanned the system for any potential mal/spyware. Aside from that the system was all original.

There isnt much about 7 that I need. Would downgrading to xp with sp3 help at all or be just as effective as reimaging to 7?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I wouldn't change the operating system until the cause of the slowdown is identified, although if you did a fresh windows install after erasing the hard drive you would remove any possibility of a rootkit or virus.

Also check your network configuration, particularly your dns settings. DNS problems are often the cause of slow systems.

And check the windows event logs, flakey hard drives can cause slowdowns.

In any case I really wouldn't consider going to XP from W7, and certainly not to Vista.

Comments on this post

• admiraln agrees
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

nothing seemed abnormal with my dns settings-is there something specific i should be searching for in regards to them?
    Event logs show no issues either
    I've run updates and havent gotten anything new, and all drivers checked out fine
    My next step is to backup my documents to an external,wipe it, and just start over
  11. No Profile Picture
    Still Learning

A few more thing to try before the big wipe.
    Have you done a defrag recently?
    If not do so. I recommend the auslogic free defrager. It has some features I like.
    One it optimizes the files on your disk as well as defeating them. It places more frequently used files on the leading edge of the disk which is suppose to be faster.
    There is some debate as to the value of this but there is no proof it bad.
    ( this post may draw some comments that may clarify the situation)

Next look at your page file. Is it large enough. With two gigs mem, old school suggestion say 3 Gigs is good. Newer opinions say 2 might be enough. With a 250 go for 3
    Set manually for starting and ending size.

Last use Readyboost. It a caching feature of vista and 7 that will use up to 4 gig of a fast SD card or memory stick to improve system speed. I use a class 10 SD card in the internal reader and I leave it there all the time. SD cards are rated with speed where USB memory sticks are not. You need at least class 8 but i prefer 10. Readyboast will test the card for you any way.

I tend to buy my memory cards at door crasher specials at the big electronic stores in my area so they don't cost much.

It will get used up eventually but who cares it was cheap and can be replaced.

Last idea but it will cost money or find a tech support friend that own a copy.
    Run Spinrite from grc.com on the drive. Drives with a lot of weak sectors have to do a lot of rereads to get data, slowing the whole I/O system. Spinrite pushes the Smart system on the disk a little harder so it senses the bad sector and replaces them.
    I have been using it for about 3 years and it does seem to make a drive a little more responsive. Not scientific proof but it impression is there.

Now really, really last idea ( for now) buy more memory .
    Make sure you buy two stick the same size and put them in correctly for detection as dual channel.

If you current memory is not arranged for dual channel this do that as well.
    Pairs of identical memory SIMM properly in stalled should give 3 to 10 % boost system throughput. Mismatched for the system to speed do the slowest memory SIMM.

If all this does nothing for, you try the scorned earth plan and re format.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo