1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I need to get email address list off hard drive

My computer quit. It was running Windows XP and I was using Outlook Express. I have placed the hard drive into a sleeve and plugged it into a laptop running Windows Vista. I can access the folders (although with Windows Vista you have to go through a lot of permissions). I have gotten to this pathway - hard drive/my name/documents and settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Address book. It will not let me copy it. It says I don't have permission and I can't get it to give me permission.

Any suggestions on how to do this, or is there another way to get the address book to I can import it into Windows Mail?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Back with outlook express you could simply open the OE Import function and identify the old file as the source of the import. Perhaps you can do that with windows mail?

Or you can take ownership of the old address book file from windows assuming you're an administrator user.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You have to right click on the folder containing the file you want. Select properties. Then select security. Click the advanced tab. Click the owner tab. Change it to your account. From there should be good.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo