1. They're coming to take me away

Email issue (Can't send to a particular user)

So I'm talking to someone who is having issues sending mail to 2 people at a particular domain. They keep getting a returned mail which says:

<user@domain.com>
    Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
    (Edited out the actual email address)

The user does exist. I have verified this personally. I can copy and paste the email address from above into a new email and send to the same email address.

From everything I can tell, it seems as though the problem is on his end, but his ISP (which I personally know the people of) sucks. But the president of the company of whom isn't receiving the emails called me to have me verify everything on their end before sending the issue back to the other persons ISP.

I am awaiting a response to find out what email client they are using and such, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone had other ideas as to why they wouldn't be able to send to these 2 users.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The error is coming from their mail server. It's either a misconfigured mail sever, or the email address doesn't exist; at least that seems like the most likely culprit. Can either of the 2 email addresses receive mail from anyone else (and you've witnessed this)?
  5. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by seack79
    The error is coming from their mail server. It's either a misconfigured mail sever, or the email address doesn't exist; at least that seems like the most likely culprit. Can either of the 2 email addresses receive mail from anyone else (and you've witnessed this)?
    Yes, the 2 email addresses receive email from everyone except this 1 person. I send emails to these 2 people and they respond, etc.. so I know the email addresses are correct...
  7. Automagically Delicious

Just to clarify, are you and the troubled sender sending from the same mail system?
    Adam TT
  9. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    Just to clarify, are you and the troubled sender sending from the same mail system?
    Oh.. no. He's sending from a completely different ISP than me. I don't know any other clients that use the same ISP as him, so I can't find a test subject to have someone else test.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

See if this link helps. What happens if the person that can't send email to that address tries this?

To check if user entered email mailbox.does.not.exist@reddit.com really exists go through the following in command prompt.

First - Find mail exchanger of reddit.com

COMMAND:
    nslookup – q=mx reddit.com
    RESPONSE:
    reddit.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.reddit.com
    mail.reddit.com internet address = 208.96.53.70

Second - Connect to mail server mail.reddit.com

COMMAND:
    telnet mail.reddit.com 25
    RESPONSE:
    220 mail.reddit.com ESMTP Postfix NO UCE NO UEMA C=US L=CA Unsolicated electronic mail advertisements strictly prohibited, subject to fine under CA law CBPC 17538.45. This electronic mail service provider’s equipment is located in the State of California. See http://www.reddit.com/static/inbound-email-policy.html for more information.

COMMAND:
    helo hi
    RESPONSE:
    250 mail.reddit.com

COMMAND:
    mail from: <youremail@gmail.com>
    RESPONSE:
    250 2.1.0 Ok

COMMAND:
    rcpt to: <mailbox.does.not.exist@reddit.com>
    RESPONSE:
    550 5.1.1 <mailbox.does.not.exist@reddit.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

COMMAND:
    quit
    RESPONSE:
    221 2.0.0 Bye
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Any luck on this Hiker?
  15. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by seack79
    Any luck on this Hiker?
    Ugh no... Everything is pointing to this being a problem with his ISP. I've sent this user a couple of emails. The first had no response. The 2nd he forwarded to someone else. But in my emails, I wanted him to try a couple of things (easy things) and also give me a little more info (such as what email client and header info from the email).

I'll let you know once I get a useful response back from him.
  17. They're coming to take me away

So it seemed to be a problem with the ISP. They have moved to a new ISP now and the issues seemed to have been resolved.
  19. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

for weird ones like that, assuming Doze, might be an idea to shoot them a script to see what nslookup finds on their environment.
    Code:
    nslookup -q=mx reddit.com >> hiker.txt
    ipconfig /all >> hiker.txt
    ping reddit.com >> hiker.txt
    A small perl script could be packaged into an exe to try a few of the SMTP or POP3 specific tasks

I've also found exchange servers on a LAN that noone knew about ...

Another is the ISP is forcing all traffic over port 25 (SMTP) to their mail server for reasons of compliance, allegedly
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo