1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What exactly is the contrast between operating systems?

I know there are games that work for Windows but not Mac.
    I know there are games that work for Windows and Linux, but not Mac.
    I know there are games that work for Mac, but not the other two.

I want to understand the informational structural difference and I want to put forth a general concept that may make development for both easier.

To my knowledge (and it is very surface level) PC's and MAC's have different file structures, they also have different graphic protocols (I think).

This is of interest to me because I see that a lot of games can only work on 1 or at most 2 (2 with a very similar structure)
    I always theorized that compatibility would only require a relatively-few classes dedicated to guiding file & graphic related functions.
    This is obviously not the case because they(many large programming companies) would have done it already.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Still Learning

You really did not ask a question. You stated the obvious, there are difference between OSs. Those differences make it difficult enough that widely cross platform games are not common. If you want to really understand the issue you need to have more in depth knowledge of all dev environments. No forum length response will truely answer it.

What you have to look into is the really contrasting parts of the environments. Actually files systems and graphics have abstractions that allow you to code identically on most OSs. What is very different is the architecture features that optimize the performance of the code. Games tend to be resource hungry. Programming to extract the last little bit of performance is very specific to each environment.

Everything else is commentary, go study.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by admiraln
    What is very different is the architecture features that optimize the performance of the code. Games tend to be resource hungry. Programming to extract the last little bit of performance is very specific to each environment.
    Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
    So if I'm understanding correctly (in brief of course) It's the way the OS allocates different responsibilities that make abstraction for both, difficult.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Still Learning

Yes but not impossible. There are multi platform products out there.
    Look at open source program like Gimp which is a high end graphics editor with features like photoshop. http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    If you look at the page it talks a lot o different ports of the core code. Machine/OS specific code is added and compiled on the target system. Expertise in the target system is needed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo