1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP server on windows 7 not working

Ive created an FTP account on windows 7. I tested it for connectivity from a few remote computers and it worked fine. I keep the FTP server on with lock at night basically for backup purpose. I've configured a backup agent on a remote computer which sends data to FTP Server at scheduled time using the ftp credentials. But its not able to connect to FTP server. The same worked fine when I used an FTP server on windows 2003. What is stopping the FTP on windows 7? Is it lock or sleep mode or anything else
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

you haven't really given much info to go on.

the remote computers that worked, were they inside your LAN network or outside?
    if all were inside, are any outside your network able to connect?
    if not, did you forward ports 20 and 21 through your router to the pc running the ftp server?
  5. No Profile Picture

I tested first with command prompt with internal IP which worked fine. Then I configured port forwarding for port 21. Then tested with public IP from computers both within LAN and outside LAN and it worked fine. Actually it even worked when I locked the FTP server and tested. However when I leave it for data transfer during scheduled time it fails to connect.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you can login from inside/outside the LAN, then you've got the hard part nailed. This sounds obvious, but how do you know it's faililng to connect? Could it be the backup program isn't running? I would start the backup manually and see where it's failling. It's most likely an authentication issue or permissions problem. Start it manually and let us know where it fails.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by divya_
    Then I configured port forwarding for port 21.
    You need to also forward port 20 as that is what FTP uses for its DATA connection.

port 21 = control connection
    port 20 = data connection.

both ports must be open/forwarded for any file transfers to take place [unless you are using PASV mode, but, thats a different story].
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Also if you're behind a router you may need to edit the configuration for your ftp server to provide your external public IP to the client as the target IP for PASV transfers. I know I did on a public linux ftp server using pure-ftpd, without editing the configuration my internal lan IP was being offered to the client as a target IP, which doesn't work too well over the public internet.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

The backup agent gives an option during configuration through which we can test the ftp connection. There it shows connection was successful. The agent runs in 3stages, 1)Compresses the data 2)Transfers to destination through ftp at scheduled time 3)Sends an email for completion or non completion of the task.

I can see the compressed files on source computer. Through the logs I come to know that it had problem with ftp connection

Originally Posted by seack79
    If you can login from inside/outside the LAN, then you've got the hard part nailed. This sounds obvious, but how do you know it's faililng to connect? Could it be the backup program isn't running? I would start the backup manually and see where it's failling. It's most likely an authentication issue or permissions problem. Start it manually and let us know where it fails.
  15. No Profile Picture

I have now forwarded port 20 as well
    I will check tonight if it solves the issue.

Originally Posted by DonR
    You need to also forward port 20 as that is what FTP uses for its DATA connection.

port 21 = control connection
    port 20 = data connection.

both ports must be open/forwarded for any file transfers to take place [unless you are using PASV mode, but, thats a different story].
  17. No Profile Picture

The issue has been resolved
    I had guessed correct
    It was Power saver/Balanced mode of windows 7 that prevented the ftp connection.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo