Thread: Hdd Recovery!

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hdd Recovery!

Hi, i have a HUGE issue here. I have some CCTV footage recorded on a HDD from a DVD player. The DVD player has a standard IDE HDD in it. I needed to copy the footage off the drive for "evidence"

I removed the drive and added to a stack of IDE drives in my server, but it didnt appear. It appreaed in disk managment as Disk 1. However there is no partition or the disk is not marked as active or something? im not sure im not too deep into disks and hardware.

So, is there a way to recover this data WITHOUT formatting the drive. The DVD player no longer recognies the drive after plugging it into the PC. Guess i stuffed the boot image or whatever on it.

Right now im freaking out lol, this is CCTV footage for a legal case. All the evidence they have is on this drive

Also, i have NOT formatted the drive at all, which leads me to think that it must be there somewhere!

Thanks guys!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd put the drive in a machine that will boot a linux live CD and inspect the partitions and filesystems from there. But you need to have some familiarity with the linux world and tools so you don't do something that will destroy anything that's currently on the drive.

Since it came from "not a computer" it may not use a MSDOS-style MBR partition table. Linux IMHO will have a better chance at identifying what's on the drive.

Otherwise for lots of $ you could check with a service like http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/

If you attempt to use various recovery tools yourself, my recommendation is "be very careful". I've seen many self-inflicted wounds that took recoverable data and turned it in to unrecoverable data.

Good luck with it.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Try "GetDataBack for NTFS", it's not free but does a solid job.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I got them back. I used PhotoRec

Works really well

Thanks guys!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thanks for posting your solution, and thanks for the tip about photorec. PhotoRec looks pretty useful.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hopefully will help others
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi

Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz
    Hi, i have a HUGE issue here. I have some CCTV footage recorded on a HDD from a DVD player. The DVD player has a standard IDE HDD in it. I needed to copy the footage off the drive for "evidence"

I removed the drive and added to a stack of IDE drives in my server, but it didnt appear. It appreaed in disk managment as Disk 1. However there is no partition or the disk is not marked as active or something? im not sure im not too deep into disks and hardware.

So, is there a way to recover this data WITHOUT formatting the drive. The DVD player no longer recognies the drive after plugging it into the PC. Guess i stuffed the boot image or whatever on it.

Right now im freaking out lol, this is CCTV footage for a legal case. All the evidence they have is on this drive

Also, i have NOT formatted the drive at all, which leads me to think that it must be there somewhere!

Thanks guys!
    Just try to do it from using any recovery software or if you have macintosh than they give you option for the recovery just check it out

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo