1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Headphone problems on my pc - I can only hear one side

Hi board I am new here I need some help with a problem I am having. I received a new pair of Sony headphones for Christmas they worked great on my pc when I first got them last week I let my brother use my pc the next day when I tried to listen to music I noticed audio was only coming out one side of the headphones. He says he did not do anything but the problem is there. I tested the headphones on another pc and portable stereo system there were no problems the audio sounds great on both sides so I know the problem is not the headphones. I also notice the sound coming out of my speakers seems to be lower than before.

I own a Dell Optiplex GX270 mini tower pc with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 installed. I have attempted to reinstall the chipset driver and audio driver nothing works. Is there anything I can do to get my headphones working right again? Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are you plugging your headphones into the front headphones jack, or into the audio jacks on the back of your PC?

If it's the first, then "somebody" may have pulled too hard on headphone cord and damaged the jack. Try plugging it into the jacks in the back, and see if the same problem exists.

If it's the second, make sure you're plugging the headphones into the green-colored jack. If you're plugging into the orange/black/blue jacks, you're tapping into the wrong audio channels, and will hear muted/wrong sounds. For example, the black jack usually controls the bass/center channels, which may explain why you hear sounds only from one side--it's acting as the center channel, and your headphones can't replicate the sounds coming through the bass channel.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo