1. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Need help with backup strategy/software for new vitualised environment

Hello,

I have some question regarding how I should make our backup routine for my company, now that we are virtualising our servers using ESXi.
    Some of them have been changed from Windows 2003 to 2008 and our database has also been upgraded from MS SQL 2005 to 2008.

In our network we have two domains, where each domain consists of one DC and one file/application server.
    Both DC is still running Windows 2003 and are not planned to be upgraded.

With the new setup, we have bought a NAS with 2 HDD in RAID 1 (mirror) as our new file server.

In the old setup we used windows own backup program to make a backup of the filesystem to a USB disk.
    Databases had their backup created in MS SQL using its own backup job.

I have looked the the MS DPM, but as far as I can see it does not support USB or other removable device.

My specific question is whether I should use a backup setup similar to the existing configuration?
    I found a command called wbadmin, is this something I should look into?

Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks for reading it to the end.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds to me like you're ready to spend some $ and get something like backup exec to handle your backup needs.

A disclaimer, I don't use it myself.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Lord of the Dance

Originally Posted by Doug G
    It sounds to me like you're ready to spend some $ and get something like backup exec to handle your backup needs.
    Well, to clarify, I don't own the company but is "only" a employee.
    Not sure if the company is ready to spend some $, at least I will need some good arguments/reasons of what benefits it will give.

1000 GBP seems a bit pricey for our needs.

Any alternative (free) options?

A disclaimer, I don't use it myself.
    do you use any backup tool yourself?
    Last edited by MrFujin; May 13th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Found an interesting article. It's fairly broad, but I think gives you a descent idea of where to start and what to look for in a backup solution. You have a fairly simple setup going so you probably won't have to spend a ton of money; but plan on atleast $500 on up.

edit: Link to article may help.
  9. Lord of the Dance

Thanks for the links/feedback.

I just saw some introduction video for the Windows 2008 Backup and will see if that will be sufficient, as it was for our old setup.

If there was a good reason to spend $500 I would look at it.
    But what we need "basically" is to copy some files from the server to the backup (USB) drive.

The reason I looked at the DPM in first place is because we get that from our MS subscription.
    When I posted my question in here I didn't expect backup tools could be that expensive.

To be clear, we are using the Windows 2008 R2 edition. I could understand there are differences between R1 and R2 in its backup system.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Complete backups are a necessity in any business computing system, and backup systems can be pretty complex. When deciding your budget keep in mind the cost of not having adequate backups when some system fails. The cost of lost data can be orders of magnitude above the cost of a reliable backup system.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. Lord of the Dance

I fully agree that backup is very important.

But before investing in a big system I want to test some of the cheaper system first and see whether they can fulfil our needs.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

If it helps, for my small (~10 systems) mixed linux and windows network for my business, I use a linux-based backup strategy. My windows computer are running cygwin and a sshd server, then from my backups file server I have cron jobs that rsync whatever I need backed up.

There are also some pretty comprehensive open-source backup programs that can backup both windows and linux machines, I tried out a couple but they ended up being overkill for my network.

If you don't use linux at all this post won't be of much help.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

One thing to keep in mind, the built-in backup utility for Server 2008 takes complete control over the drive you use for backups. Not an issue, but something to be aware of. To decide on cost, the big question I would ask, is how quickly do you want to be up and running if a drive fails? Server 2008 will support image based backups, so it can be fairly quick to restore. If you just backup files or a database, then you have to restore the OS, then the apps, and then the data, etc...
  19. Lord of the Dance

@Doug

Thanks for the information, but we don't linux.

@seack

The most important is the data.
    We do also backup the installed program files and related databases.

But you are right, i should also take a look at the possibilities to backup the virtual system image on ESX.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo