1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS4+ and proxypass directive (apache)

Hi

A client of ours has requested a strange setup for thier website that seems to require we install APACHE1.1+ in order to get use of the ProxyPass directive (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod...html#proxypass) feature.

Now having briefly read the documentation on Apache it means having to reconfigure the server with Apache installed and listening to port 80. If I am correct in my thinking this means that Apache will be running as a service and that IIS wont start if Apache was the first HTTP service started, or visa versa.

Seems a little over board to me just to get this feature.

Is there any software/patch out there that can be installed on the Win2000/IIS4 machine that will allow us this feature without having to install Apache etc..

Any help is appreciated.
    John
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ProxyPass is just url redirection, which IIS5 (standard with Win2k+) supports out of the box.

If you want to map one virtual server to another then set the servers home directory to redirect via properties > home directory and selectt "a redirection to a url".
    If you want to redirect a sub directory then properties > directory and select "a redirection to a url".

I should point out the proxypass directive doesn't build a local mirror of content only redirects to a specified site, if your after building a local mirror proxypass is the wrong directive.

IIS doesn't have any built-in support for building mirrors.

If your after building a unified namespace using a proxy then IIS has no builtin support, and a additional proxy component will be required (expensive).
    Last edited by dabean; November 5th, 2002 at 09:39 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo