Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Installing windows 7 64bit and XP Pro SP3 on a laptop

My laptop is an MSI x64 with 2GB of RAM. I already have W7 x64 installed on my C: drive. Using the Computer Management tool i shrank my C: drive by 12GB and created a new NTFS volume of the same size. Each time i reboot and try to install XP Pro SP3 it goes through the whole process of loading the drivers pre-setup etc. then when it says 'Starting Windows' which is when it's about to ask which drive i want to load to, it all crashes and i get the blue screen of death. And i'm told to check my drives etc and reboot. What am i doing wrong here? Is it the order i'm doing things in or is it something else?

But i can then restart the laptop and go into W7 and use it no bother.

Please help.

Thanks
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Just to clarify, you don't even get to the point where you can choose which location on disk you wish to install and create a new partition?
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeah, it loads all the usual drivers and says at the bottom 'Starting windows' on the old xp blue and black dos style screen and then blue screen of death. could it be the actual dvd itself?
  7. Automagically Delicious

I'd think it's more likely a case with the default drivers loaded with the XP CD are causing you the issue. Probably trying something the hardware no longer supports. I'd guess you'd either need to find some way to modify the drivers it loads (3rd party support) or you might just be SOL. With a different machine and different hardware it might work, but maybe not with this exact configuration. If you really want to get down to it you might be able to replace certain parts and see if it makes any changes (e.g. graphics card, sound card, etc.)
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    I'd think it's more likely a case with the default drivers loaded with the XP CD are causing you the issue. Probably trying something the hardware no longer supports. I'd guess you'd either need to find some way to modify the drivers it loads (3rd party support) or you might just be SOL. With a different machine and different hardware it might work, but maybe not with this exact configuration. If you really want to get down to it you might be able to replace certain parts and see if it makes any changes (e.g. graphics card, sound card, etc.)
    Yeah i can understand what you are saying, but i'm still confused as the laptop originally came with W7 32bit and it ran that okay. Also i'm been looking through various other forums and i see a great deal of people successfully installing XP over W7 64bit. I've just tried another copy and it produced the very same error. So you are probably right. Trouble is desktop/server support i'm fairly converse with but by no means an expert. Is there any cut down/expanded/amended versions of XP install floating about that might work? Or is there a work around you're aware of?

Thanks for your help so far.

P.S. SOL?
    Last edited by earlrock666; June 22nd, 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Another question i forgot
  11. Contributing User

Is there a reason you are trying to dual boot XP?

Why not simply install VMPlayer and run a virtual XP, it's far more convenient and easier if you just need a basic XP environment.

If you require more kick *** components such as decent VGA to play games you can always purchase a virtual VGA appliance.

What is the purpose of this XP installation?
  13. Automagically Delicious

I don't know where your confusion comes in, but I'm suggesting that the W7 install should be just fine whlie the XP one will be problematic for THAT hardware configuration. Another machine might be just fine, which is why others have it working. 1DMF is right about the VM part, much easier and allows you to get done what you need for testing or anything. Also, i don't know which SP version of XP you are installing, I know some of the older ones (SP 0, and 1) can have weird issues with things like USB 2.0 and stuff.

SOL - st*ff out of luck
    Adam TT
  15. No Profile Picture

I'm unlocking phones. I have a HTC/Blackberry/SE unlocking dongle and a ZX3 box, both of which run on xp. Other unlocking software runs in 64bit. So i need to be able to jump from one to the other. I've created an empty partition and was using EBCD but that failed miserabley. So would VMPlayer allow USB 2 access?

It's XP sp3
  17. Automagically Delicious

I would imagine it would. In its early days VM had some difficulties with USB, but I know they have made vast improvements on it. It's certainly worth a try. Otherwise it might actually be easier to just have a second machine sitting there. You can probably get an old one from someone and reformat it and start clean. I'd still try the VM solution first.
    Adam TT
  19. Contributing User

Yes VMWare / Player allows connection of all the devices from the physical machine to the virtual machine, i use USB2 external drives and attach them to the XP VM environment with no problem what so ever.

as this is all you wan't to use the XP environment for, go VIRTUAL!

Get VMPlayer , create a new XP machine, and you will wonder why you ever tried to dual boot ;-)
  21. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your help i'm going for the virtual option.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by 1DMF
    Yes VMWare / Player allows connection of all the devices from the physical machine to the virtual machine, i use USB2 external drives and attach them to the XP VM environment with no problem what so ever.

as this is all you wan't to use the XP environment for, go VIRTUAL!

Get VMPlayer , create a new XP machine, and you will wonder why you ever tried to dual boot ;-)
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    I would imagine it would. In its early days VM had some difficulties with USB, but I know they have made vast improvements on it. It's certainly worth a try. Otherwise it might actually be easier to just have a second machine sitting there. You can probably get an old one from someone and reformat it and start clean. I'd still try the VM solution first.
  27. Contributing User

The other cool thing about VM is that should you replace your PC, you simply copy the VM file of the virtual install to the new machine (I actually have my VM XP on an external USB drive, a little slower, but suits my needs).

You then point VM Player to the install and voila, your XP VM is now running on your new PC, piece of cake!
  29. No Profile Picture

Other VM software

I've been advised by others, including work collegues that Oracle's Virtual Box is a better FREE open source app with extensions for USB 2. I've downloaded both and will investigate. But could i ask your opinions please?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo