1. Cunning Linguist
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

Hi, got a bit of a strange problem here...

Sometimes, [not all the time] when I try to hibernate my laptop, it starts the process then breaks backs to windows, and shows an "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API." error message. When I try to hibernate it again after that, it won't let me, it just makes the laptop stand by.

I have no idea what's causing this, it's only started happening recently, and I haven't installed anything new.

Google'ing only found some crap on the m$ site about win2k which is useless, as i'm using WinXP Pro.

Any advice/ideas anyone?
    Support requests via PM will be ignored!
    Read These: The General Rules Thread | The General FAQ Thread | NEW USERS - How to post a question

3. Cunning Linguist

Ah come on... Has no-one ever had this problem?!
    Read These: The General Rules Thread | The General FAQ Thread | NEW USERS - How to post a question

5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

How much ram do you have and how much hard disk space? Be sure you have all critical updates installed. Have you tried repairing the windows installation? Virus scan?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=
  7. Cunning Linguist

It's got 1 gig of ram and about 16 gig free hd on the (C) drive.

Norton and housecall.trendmicro can't find anything wrong virus wise. Haven't tried repairing the install though, cos It'd take ages, and I couldn't be arsed to wait, but it's only about 6 months old, and windows has worked fine up until now...

9. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Not sure what the problem would be. I haven't had it personally, and all I've been able to find suggested things like not having enough hard drive space to store the data from RAM, or a virus, or a nebulous reference to getting all the critical updates. If you can't see a pattern to why this is, trying to repair the install is the last idea I have. Its a strange problem, and nobody seems to have a good reason for it.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apparently this is a known issue with XP SP1.

A hotfix is available at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909.

Alternatively the implication is that SP2 carries the fix too.

I haven't tried this yet but it was intermittent for me.

Cheers, Peter.
  13. Cunning Linguist

Hey, thanks for the link! I've just bought WindowsXP with SP2 OEM from ebuyer, cos I cracked my XP disk [oops], so I'll just wait for that to arrive, then see if it sorts it out.

Welcome to Dev Shed btw!

15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ChiefWigs1982
    Hey, thanks for the link! I've just bought WindowsXP with SP2 OEM from ebuyer, cos I cracked my XP disk [oops], so I'll just wait for that to arrive, then see if it sorts it out.

Welcome to Dev Shed btw!
    Thanks, looks as though there are some good discussions going on.

The fix is listed in the "List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811113 so fingers crossed!

I applied the hotfix yesterday but as it was not happening everyday it'll be at least a week before I'm confident that the problem's fixed. I'm holding off on installing SP2. Looks like you found a compelling reason to apply it.

Cheers, Peter.
  17. No Profile Picture

Sorry, SP2 didn't work

I have been suffering with this for about 1 month now, and am at the stage where it is occuring about every 2nd hibernation.

I applied SP 2 a fews days ago and am still experiencing the problem. The specific patch from MS to fix this will not apply itself now as SP2 is installed.

My system does fit the profile described in the article, 2 Gb RAM, however only one processor.

TYpically have about 1.4 Gb ram available prior to hibernation and running with typically 10gb disk space available.

Any other ideas??

Thanks
  19. No Profile Picture

Confirmation of problem and useless fixes from MS

I can confirm that there are problems hibernating under XP. These are noted by Microsoft as being related to systems with 1 gig or more of RAM and systems "under heavy load."

Further, contrary to Microsoft's knowledge base, the hotfix that is available did not repair the problem for me. I then applied SP2 purely in the hope that it might address the problem (thinking that perhaps the hotfix was too old and not compatible with the various Windows updates applied to my system). SP2 did nothing.

The symptoms for me: If I don't have a lot of software running (and thus my memory use is low), I can usually hibernate once. After resuming, a second hibernation will fail with the "Insufficient system resources" error. If I have a log of software running, then I cannot even perform the first hibernation.
  21. Cunning Linguist

Yup, SP2 seems to have resolved this problem for me...

23. No Profile Picture

I am also having the problem. Dell inspiron 9300 notebook with 2GB ram, 10gb free on hdd. Installed xp pro sp2 from CD. Just after a reboot I can check start->settings->controlpanel->powersettings and there is a tab for 'hibernate'. It is enabled. I use start->shutdown->hibernate and it looks like it starts to do it, then it fails with the api message. After that, I don't see the hibernate selection in power-settings anymore.
  25. Cunning Linguist

Sorry, don't know what to say, installing SP2 fixed it for me. Have you
    run Windows Update, and got everything updated properly?

27. No Profile Picture

Yes, all windows updates are installed. I could take out some ram, change it back to 1gb or even 256mb and see what happens....

I have also ran memtest86+ memory diagnostics to be sure the ram is working ok.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo