1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No LAN / Need to change MAC Address?

Hi. I have recently been MAC Banned from a website and in order to access that webite again i must change my MAC Address. I have watched several guides and tutorials, which to my understand, are only useful if you have a Local Network Connection set up, which I cannot see. When I go to my Network Connections it shows "WiFi" and "Ethernet." However, I do not have my laptop connected to the router/modem so i dont know why ethernet is there (Its Disabled.) Anyways, I have tried changing both the wifi and the ethernet Mac Addresses and rejoin the site but still, it does not work. I have tried contacting my ISP provider after waiting hours on the phone they told me that they cant help me with networking. So my natural instinct was to google a forum and ask, so it would be very helpful if anyone could advise me how to get a LAN running so i can identify my laptops physical mac address and change it to have a whole new device identity.

Also, I have been informed that if you buy a Wireless Adapter it will change your mac address aswell.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The MAC address is only used on a LAN connection so unless this website is an intranet on the same LAN as you, changing your MAC will do nothing.

That said, if the site has explicitly banned you then it is probably for a reason and you're not going to get much help trying to circumvent a ban.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kicken
    The MAC address is only used on a LAN connection so unless this website is an intranet on the same LAN as you, changing your MAC will do nothing.

That said, if the site has explicitly banned you then it is probably for a reason and you're not going to get much help trying to circumvent a ban.
    I'd like to politely disagree. The MAC Address is unique for every device, including router and modem. Therefore, the ban is only on my laptop (The device i use most often.) By setting up a LAN connection it will allow me to change the MAC Address using a program I have installed and therefore change the identitity of my computer. I already knew this and what I came on this forum to do is see why I had an ethernet connection when i'm not using an ethernet cable. And also, why I don't have a LAN (I havent registered my laptop.)
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The MAC address is unique yes, but it is not used outside the LAN so the website in question would have no way of knowing what your MAC is (unless you tell it by installing a plugin or something).

Your MAC is only used to get a packet from your computer to your router. Once at the router it the MAC address is replaced with the routers MAC until it gets to your ISP's router, at which point it's replaced with the ISP's MAC and so on until it gets to the final destination.

It's simply not possible for a website to ban you based on your MAC address unless you have installed some kind of software that is reporting your MAC to the site or the site is on your LAN and not some other network.

As such, changing your MAC address will not fix your problem.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kicken
    The MAC address is unique yes, but it is not used outside the LAN so the website in question would have no way of knowing what your MAC is (unless you tell it by installing a plugin or something).

Your MAC is only used to get a packet from your computer to your router. Once at the router it the MAC address is replaced with the routers MAC until it gets to your ISP's router, at which point it's replaced with the ISP's MAC and so on until it gets to the final destination.

It's simply not possible for a website to ban you based on your MAC address unless you have installed some kind of software that is reporting your MAC to the site or the site is on your LAN and not some other network.

As such, changing your MAC address will not fix your problem.
    The site uses java so im not sure if that can read your mac address but yeah
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

They are banning you with the mac address associated with your public IP. In this case your routers mac. You need to change it on the router if your router supports mac cloning. May I suggest you behave in a way not to get banned in the first place!!
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Sealion9
    The site uses java so im not sure if that can read your mac address but yeah
    I'm trying multiple sign ups with pregame.com to grab the $25 free credit. Problem is the site downloads java script to my PC upon sign up making my changed IP address & mac address useless. I think this script relays my addresses back to server. Blocking these scripts with plugins only aborts the sign up process.

Clearing cookies, using new emails, etc doesn't do anything.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo