1. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Losing data & file corruption

WindowsXP Professional. Hardware specs are average, and I'll provide them on request.

I've been having an issue recently where Windows will crash due to an NMI error (I'm RMA-ing my video card this weekend). When I come back, things have been restored (though I don't have restore turned on) to about 15 minutes to an hour before the crash. Highly annoying, especially if you were writing code. I can understand if the code you wrote since your last save was gone, but if I create the file in that 15-minute-to-1-hour time span, the whole file is gone. I'm guesing Windows thinks any application running during the crash could be a cause, and so it goes truncate-happy, but this is unreal.

In a possibly unrelated note, there have recently been instances where I run a program (that may or may not have been associated with a crash), and I'll get that wonderful balloon in the notification area telling me the .exe or a component associated with it is corrupt, and the program will not function normally. I've had no probem with this recently, until last night where it said firefox was corrupt, and when it finally launched, all of my favorites, and SETTINGS were gone.

I can not begin to express my frustrations with this PC. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hmmm, I'm thinking Windows itself maybe corrupted or you possibly have a virus of some kind. When was the last time that you ran a thorough virus scan ?? If it's been a while, run that first.

Go to Start > Run and type 'sfc /scannow' (without the quotes) and this will check your Windows files and replace as neccessary the ones that are corrupted, if any.

I immediately thought that it could be a program error with the program that you are running but as it's happening with different programs, I realised this was not the case !
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Documents should not be affected by a system restore point ... I'm thinking virus, and nasty at that, you didn't install a Sony DRM'd CD by any chance ...

Also checkout Rootkit Revealer on www.sysinternals.com
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  7. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned

No DRM stuff, unless WMP installs that in the background (I don't like WMP, but I had to use it to play one of my enhanced CD's from 1996--WAY before DRM). I keep my PC fairly locked down (no non-essential services running, etc.), and my antivirus is always on, though I'll run a thorough system scan tonight when I get home. I was hoping it was something else, like a hardware issue. I did just buy/install a 200GB drive in August, but it's been fine all this while.

I'll let you know wha tI come up with tonight. Thanks guys!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned

Ok, check out this st*ff... I ran AVG with the latest definitions: nothing. I ran RootkitRevealer, and got the following:
    Code:
    D:	 	0 bytes	Error mounting volume
    F:	 	0 bytes	Error mounting volume
    These drives are part of my 200GB drive, and are fairly large, so either RootkitRevealer couldn't handle the size of the drives, or my lovely drive is going *BLECH*.

Even deeper in the st*ff, I ran sfc, and ran into a wonderful surprise. It told me it needed to copy some files to the DLL cache from the Windows disk, so I gave it the disk. Well it yacked all over that, telling me it wasn't the right disk. I tried another disk, and it gave the same response. Mind you these are both legal, lisenced, MS-hologramed, Windows XP Professional v.2002 disks, one of which I used to install XP on my machine. And now it's telling me I have the wrong version. Sure, SP2 could be getting in the way, but is MS going to send me an XPproSP2 disk for free because their product is jacked up? That's what I thought.

So I'm pretty much at a loss. I can try re-installing Windows, but that's a step I really wanted to avoid, and I'm not as comfortable in Linux as I would prefer to make make a switch at this time. Maybe my video card is causing more trouble than I even know of right now, or maybe my HDD is slowly falling apart (after only 4 months)... Any other suggestions? Thanks again for your input.
  11. Providing fuel for space ships

Strange. Has your drive been making any noises ?? You could download and run Powermax from Maxtor. This wee program will perform a diagnostic check on your hard drive from the floppy. Or you can download the bootable ISO version if you don't have a floppy drive. These might take some time to run as you have a 200gb hard drive though.

If that comes through ok, I'd suggest a repair installation of XP first from the console if you would rather avoid a fresh installation.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(^^;?(Probably files themselves or version information are modified )

That's why applications would work incorrectly. Helpless.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo