1. No Profile Picture
    http://stealthwd.ca
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Multi monitor question

Hey everyone. On my setup at work I have 4 monitors. Is there anyway to make it so when my computer boots my applications go to the correct locations on the desktop?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are several programs that will allow you to specify which monitor a particular program should open on; however I don't believe windows supports this natively.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Transforming Moderator

Originally Posted by Dameon51
    On my setup at work I have 4 monitors.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  7. No Profile Picture

ok

Originally Posted by requinix
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Here ya go!

http://stealthwd.ca/images/multiMon.jpg

Comments on this post

• requinix agrees
    • AdamPI agrees : Gotta rep for that, you were called out and you came through int he clutch.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    There are several programs that will allow you to specify which monitor a particular program should open on; however I don't believe windows supports this natively.
    Links?
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I use dual monitors at home and at work, and I have never had a problem with opening programs in the "right" monitor.

From at least XP up, Windows remembers which monitor the application was on as well as it's last position when you exit the application. When you open it again, it will open in the same place as it was when you closed it. So, just remember to close the applications when they are located where you want them to open again.

My only concern is that I haven't worked with 4 monitors before, so there could be a difference there. I would think that there shouldn't be as there's really no more work saving those details for a single monitor as for multiple monitors.
  13. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Only after writing this did I remember about some software, but maybe I can offer some insight into how Windows itself handles window positioning first.

Windows 7 (at least, I think XP works this way, too) basically remembers two stats for a window. Its X/Y positioning and whether it was maximized or not. However, the position does not translate to a maximized window. This makes this a bit more tricky with Windows 7 and the "snap" feature. So if you have a window in normal mode on monitor 1 and snap it to a full-screen on monitor 2, Windows only updates the "maximized window" property; leaving the coordinates in place of where it was in normal mode. When you reopen the window, it will see that the X/Y was on monitor 1 (since they never updated) and was maximized. This results in a maximized window on monitor 1.

One major caveat of this is that it only updates this info upon window close. So if you move the window around to 20 different spots but close it from a maximized position, it will only update the maximized property and no position entry will be made.

Now that I think about it there is a program I have but don't use as much called GridMove. It's free, fully customizable and does very well with multiple monitors. The nice thing with this is that even a "Maximized window" it's actually just a perfect-fitting windowed mode box, so position entry is always made.

Comments on this post

• Dameon51 agrees : Thanks I'll give it a shot
    Adam TT
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

One program that I'm trialing now is called "Actual Multiple Monitors". I don't actually use it to define program positions, but I think it has that capability. Primarily I use it to add a task bar to my other monitors, since I mirror two of the displays in my office onto other displays in my living room, and I can't access my primary display in the living room while watching TV.

Comments on this post

• Dameon51 agrees : I'll try this out too
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    I use dual monitors at home and at work, and I have never had a problem with opening programs in the "right" monitor.
    I think I run into a problem where I have the 4 displays at work, but at home I work off of just one. I'll see if the apps recommended above are smart enough to see the 4 monitors and know what to do with them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo