1. life is joy, don't waste it !
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

NTFS Windows Permissions

Hi,

I'm a little confused about how Windows assigns permissions to files insides a directory.

For example:

User1 has read only access to Folder1.
    Inside Folder1 there is a File1.
    User1 has read and write access to File1.

The problem is that because User1 has only read access to Folder1, User1 cannot save File1 on that folder, I mean, he cannot modify the file, even if he has write permissions to that file.

So do I have to assign read and write access on Folder1 to User1 ?
    IF I ASSIGN READ/WRITE access to User1 on Folder1, this will mean that User1 would have read/write to all files inside Folder1, unless I break inheritance.

So, any Idea how to manage this situation ?

Thanks.
    Let us rm -rf our weaknesses.
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

NTFS will cascade permissions. If you deny write access to a folder then you'll deny write to files within it. What you can do is convert the inherited permissions on that file to explicit permissions and remove the Deny/add an Allow entry from the folder.
  5. life is joy, don't waste it !

Originally Posted by requinix
    NTFS will cascade permissions. If you deny write access to a folder then you'll deny write to files within it. What you can do is convert the inherited permissions on that file to explicit permissions and remove the Deny/add an Allow entry from the folder.
    Well, actually that's what I'm doing. I'm removing the inherited permissions coming from the folder, and allow Write Permissions to the file. But it doesn't work, because the folder permissions does not allow to write inside de folder, even if the file has write permissions. That's the weird part.

am I clear ?
  7. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You are talking about editing an existing file and not creating a new one, right?

I have here on my computer a folder with a file inside. I denied write access to the folder and was unable to edit the file. I converted the file's inherited permissions to explicit permissions, removed the Deny privilege (so it's back to the normal Full Control) and now I can write to the file again. Meanwhile I still can't create files inside the folder.
    How does that compare to what you're doing?
  9. life is joy, don't waste it !

Originally Posted by requinix
    You are talking about editing an existing file and not creating a new one, right?

I have here on my computer a folder with a file inside. I denied write access to the folder and was unable to edit the file. I converted the file's inherited permissions to explicit permissions, removed the Deny privilege (so it's back to the normal Full Control) and now I can write to the file again. Meanwhile I still can't create files inside the folder.
    How does that compare to what you're doing?
    That's exactly what I want. Curiously, the problem only happens with some excel file, not always.

I just wanted to know that it was possible and not a limitation of windows.

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo