1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Offline NT Password Utility

I was wondering if any of you had used the Offline NT Password Utility or the NTbootdisk at (http://home.broadpark.no/~kroste/dow...ntbootdisk.htm). If so, have you had success with it and have you had any adverse reactions with it? The issue with the Win2000 machine I'm trying to recover is that the computer name was changed as well as its removal from a domain (addition to a workgroup instead) and that seems to have invalidated the user names/passwords somehow. I have downloaded this utility to try to recover the machine, but I am a cautious person...

Thanks for any help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had the same problem in XP. I didn't use that particular utility but I never managed to get it back (fortunately it was running FAT32 so I just backed up and reformatted). Just be sure you back up first - it's made for password recovery and this isn't that.

Alun Harford
  5. No Profile Picture

Success

Just to let everyone know. I used the utility with fingers crossed and it worked out well. Machine is back (although there were a number of things to fix and reorganize) but I was able to get to all the data and do everything I needed to do.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo