1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Outlook Express doesn't open

A friend's computer running Windows XP will not open into Outlook Express. The blue OE window opens and then just sits there. I then have to restart the computer. I am guessing there is some kind of corrupted file, but I am wondering if there is a way to restore this, without having to reload Windows XP. Also when I go to the Add and Remove Programs under the Control Panel, it isn't listed any longer. So I am not sure the program is even there anymore.

It is too bad you can't reload Outlook Express similar to the Photostory 3 where that program authenticates that you already have a genuine copy of Windows XP. Maybe you can and I just don't know it.

I would appreciate any help.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You should be able to download outlook express. Try reinstalling it.

Another option is to use a different client. For example Thunderbird, or one of many others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-mail_clients
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I read on a web page where it says if you download Internet Explorer, that it will also download Outlook Express. If you already have Internet Explorer, will it just override your current IE program?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You might try clearing your internet temporary files. Also check your event logs for clues.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  9. They're coming to take me away

Also, you can try running CCleaner. I've had a similar problem where a corrupt/bad registry entry wouldn't allow for a program to open fully. When running CCleaner, run the Registry option (and if you'd like, you can use that to clean out your temp files).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Actually I wouldn't need to help my friend reload Outlook if we could figure out one thing in an email program called Eudora. Perhaps someone knows. Here is what happens? My friend receives an email from someone, and he also knows that the sender probably sent it to others besides him. He is only seeing his name listed as a recipient. Now you would probably describe this as the sender utilized the BCC option. But we tested this and I sent an email with multiple recipients including him and still, he only sees his email address listed. I am thinking it could be a setting. We tried doing a Reply All thinking that might show the other recipients, but it does not.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo