1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Partitioning Hard Drives, Windows 8, Lost

Windows 7 will not install windows 8, it hasn't been able to update itself for months. I bought a new hard drive thinking I could install windows 8 on there, but I don't even know where to begin. First step, I think I have to partition the drive, but do not know whether to convert it to dynamic disk or GPT disk.
    I also don't know what to do after that. Even if I transfer my current windows and info over to that drive, it still will not install.
    Help, I'm clueless!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your trying to install windows 7 on a computer that had windows 8 installed by the manufacter it has a UEFI bios with secure boot. You have to disable it and change it to legacy mode first.
  5. No Profile Picture

Oh no, I'm sorry, I'm trying to install Windows 8. When I try to install windows 8, it reverts back to windows 7, so the current operating system (windows 7) is not installing windows 8 properly.

First I don't know what to do with the partitions.
    Then I don't know how to get a fresh windows 8 onto an empty hard drive.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh sorry I misread your post. I'm pretty sure this guide could help. link. I'd help more but I haven't done a clean install of windows 8 yet
  9. No Profile Picture

Fixed!

I ended up taking it to a computer repair store and paying twenty bucks to have them do it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo