1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question I have SO many partitions. Can someone help figure which ones I can delete?

I have Windows 8 that I upgraded to 8.1

I also was dual booting Ubuntu at one time and Linux Mint another time. I think I also was trying to dual boot OPEN Suse at one point but that required deleting Windows so I passed on that before I finished the installation.

So now I have some issues with too many recovery partitions. Ultimately I want to expand my C: drive because I'm not happy that the D: drive is available to all users on my PC. But more on that later. First here is what my partions look like in Windows 8 disk management.

From left to right:

700 MB Healthy (Recovery partition) || 260MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) || Windows (C 149.66 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) || 350 MB Healthy (Recovery Partion || Data (D 197.87 GB Healthy (Primary Partition) || 561.62 GB Unallocated || 7.96 GB Healthy (Primary Partition) || 13 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) ||

Basically I removed Ubuntu and Mint from the the Disk and I don't remember how I did but I think I "wrestled" it off the system somehow and I don't know what is left.

I would like to expand my C: drive and make D: drive really small but Windows partitioning only allows adjacent partitions to expand. Therefor I want to know if I can delete partition #3 ??
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

In that setup, I would probably backup all important documents and other files you may have to an external/second HDD, format/delete all the partitions, re-create them in the number and size you want and then re-install windows.

If you mean the partition between your C- and D-drive, then I would guess you can delete it. Especially if it is empty.
    Last edited by MrFujin; June 20th, 2014 at 01:42 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for your tips

I sure would like to re-install Windows but my computer came with Windows 8 and there was not any disc.

About deleting that partition between C and D drive. It's a recovery partition so is that safe to delete?
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Can't say how safe it will be to delete it, but from my experience, Windows only add recovery partitions at the start of the hard disc (before C-drive).

Is it empty? Have you tried look what is stored on it?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I wouldn't delete any recovery partitions until I was sure my system reinstallation software wasn't hiding there. Some manufacturers restore partitions are after the OS partition.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doug G
    I wouldn't delete any recovery partitions until I was sure my system reinstallation software wasn't hiding there. Some manufacturers restore partitions are after the OS partition.
    Is the OS (windows 8) stored on the C: drive?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Chakotay
    Is the OS (windows 8) stored on the C: drive?
    If you're talking about the w8 installer/recovery program check with the computer manufacturer. On my PC's it's in hidden partitions normally, but it's up to the OEM if there even is a recovery partition and if so, where it's located on the disk. The actual operating windows software is normally running from the C drive on nearly all computers.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo