1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can I reinstalle a corrupted windows installer service?

Any way to do this?
  3. superficial

err, put the cd in?

be a bit more specific
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey, I think I know what he's talking about, and I have the same problem...

Windows Installer service is (correct me if I'm wrong) a program and a dll that handle certain program installations, especially Microsoft's (i.e. Microsoft Office). However, recently a problem happened with the installer (btw, I'm using Win2k). Every time I try to install a program that uses it, it says: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I tried copying msi.dll (AFAIK, this handles the Installer) from another Win2k installation; however, the file is in use, so there's no way to copy it over. I know that SP3 updated it, so maybe that makes a difference?
  7. superficial

are you sure its not disabled?

start->run->gpedit.msc

Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Installer

under computer configuration and user confirugation are settings where you can tweak windows installer settings.

I've recently put sp3 on my machine and I've not had any problem due to that.

You can of course manually register that dll whilst its in use from the command prompt using regsvr32 "c:\blah\blah.dll" (dont think you need any switches at the end, cant remember)
  9. No Profile Picture

Nope, none of the policies seemed to be relevant to the matter at hand (yes, I tried disabling the "Disable Windows Installer" flag)

Er... not to be retarded, but what exactly do you mean by registering dll's? What does regsvr32 do?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo