1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cannot remove an icon from my desktop.

I've finally got my wife's system together and I'm trying to configure it for her with XP this time. I want the desktop to be nice and clean except for her icons but there is an icon on my desktop called "Flashrom". It apparently is an application not just a shortcut. I probably downloaded it when I updated the bios or something.

The problem is, I cannot remove it from the desktop. When I try to move it to another folder I get the error saying the "Cannot move Flashrom: It is being used by another program...yada, yada". I can send it to another folder using the drop-down and it does, yet it is also still on my desktop. How can I get this icon off my desktop? Thanks in advance!

Rob
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

reboot, when the power comes on, start tapping the F8 key, do this until the boot menu appears, start in safe mode, delete the file, reboot.
  5. No Profile Picture

You da man, Known_criminal! Safe mode did the trick but it would still not let me delete it. I ended up just moving it to another folder and viola, it's not on the desktop and that's all I want. Thanks man!

Rob
  7. Contributing User

boot into command prompt with a boot disk. Nav to the desktop, then do Delete "dir" flashrom *.* That usually works too

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo