1. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Removing a [network] icon from the system tray

I've tried searching around and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. What I have is two network connections that I use regularly: a wired and a wireless connection.

The wired is my default connection and is in use at all times when I'm sitting at my desk. At that time the wireless is out of range of APs. The exception is that occasionally I will get a blip of signal and get the fun balloons that let me know I'm connected and just as suddenly no longer connected to the wireless network.

Now I could just simply disable the wireless card but I use it just a bit too often to muck with it all the time. I'd like to just simply remove the icon from the system tray while NOT DISABLING the connection. I've also tried the "hide always" trick with the hidden icons down there but since it changes names so frequently, it doesn't stay hidden very long.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Adam TT
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Vista or XP ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. Automagically Delicious

My bad, forgot to mention that

XP Pro
    Adam TT
  7. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It can be done editing the registry. Why re-invent the wheel when Kellys Korner have already created them! Look at line 394 and to the right, you have both .reg files to remove and restore them.

With Vista it's a little simpler, right-click on the taskbar, selecting 'Properties' and then 'Notification Area' and then remove the tick from 'Network'. Not that this helps you any!

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : Nice catch (0 points, gotta make the rounds first I guess...)
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  9. Automagically Delicious

HA! What's funny is I found another source that said to do the exact same thing. And I did that (backing up that key before removing of course) and it didn't do anything. At least, not until you reboot that is. I hadn't rebooted yet and thus reloaded the hive from start; which is why it hadn't affected anything yet. Now it's looking good today.

For anyone who is interested here are the keys that need to be removed (as copied from aitken325i's link above:
    Code:
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}]
    @="Network Connections Tray"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}\DefaultIcon]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}\InProcServer32]
    @="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\NETSHELL.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Both"
    Adam TT
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

In XP cant you r/click the connection go to properties then un-select the box that says show icon in notification area when connected?
  13. Automagically Delicious

Oh yes, you can. The problem is that you cannot get it to go away when it's NOT connected using that method. I believe in Win 2k Pro you could tell it to just "Not show icon in system tray" but it was either all on or all off. In XP you could disable the icon when it was working correctly but it would show up when it disconnected for some reason.

The alternative was turning the device off completely (shutting off wireless for example.) The thing is, I didn't want to have to turn it off, turn it on, back and forth every time I brought my laptop with me from my desk.

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
    Adam TT
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

On my old XP box I just r/clicked over the time chose custom notifications and selected always hide this Icon. True It is still in the Tray but will not pop open as an alert.
  17. Automagically Delicious

OK, normally I wouldn't be so....blunt in my ridicule, but did you even READ the whole first post? A quote from there:
    Originally Posted by AdamPI
    I've also tried the "hide always" trick with the hidden icons down there but since it changes names so frequently, it doesn't stay hidden very long.
    There, now you can read it again and read your post and think how you sound...
    Adam TT
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Perhaps if you didnt contradict yourself it would be clearer. First you say you always use the same 2 connections. You always hide the one you dont want popping up. If you are using the same 2 connections why is the name changing all the time.

Why dont you tell us what program your using to configure your wireless and we will start all over.

If its windows. And you have gone in and changed the settings to not connect to non prefered networks. Removed all connections but the one wireless you say u use. Then you hide the inavctive notification. What can pop back up. If you wirless is not set to auto connect to networks not in your preffered list, and the only connection in your preffered list is the one you want to connect to??? Am I making any sence?? Or is that not how the preferred list works??
    Last edited by sporky12; October 12th, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
  21. Automagically Delicious

The reason it keeps coming back:
    Originally Posted by AdamPI
    At that time the wireless is out of range of APs. The exception is that occasionally I will get a blip of signal and get the fun balloons that let me know I'm connected and just as suddenly no longer connected to the wireless network.
    Second, we've ALREADY SOLVED THIS if you look here. Third, that's not how the preferred list. Fourth, we already solved this.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo