1. They're coming to take me away

Want to save to dir but not allow delete

So I'm looking for the best way to accomplish the following:

Have a computer that is on a network of about 20 computers. It has a folder that gets saved to from another computer on the network. The saved files are automatic and record 24/7. I want to allow the computers to be saved to from the network but not allow files to be deleted (locally or over the LAN) without an admin password. The account is admin, but no one has the password to the admin account except me.

There is an issue of someone deleting files that they shouldn't have and now we want to password protect the whole folder to prevent deletions.

Win XP Pro

Thanks.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As a guess, maybe you can do something with a batch script that uses icacls to manipulate the acl's on the directory after it gets created, maybe running via the task scheduler. Just a guess, I wouldn't know exactly how to go about doing what you want.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is this a domain environment or workgroup? I know you can specify under advanced sharing options that people can do everything but delete files from a directory. If everyone is using the same user account I don't think you can accomplish what you're wanting to do. Maybe create another admin account and specify under ntfs permissions that it can't delete files from that folder.
    Last edited by seack79; August 25th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by seack79
    Is this a domain environment or workgroup?
    Workgroup

I know you can specify under advanced sharing options that people can do everything but delete files from a directory. If everyone is using the same user account I don't think you can accomplish what you're wanting to do. Maybe create another admin account and specify under ntfs permissions that it can't delete files from that folder.
    Ok.. thanks...
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

One more thing, the file security model is pretty different between home versions and pro and server versions of windows. I nearly always use pro versions and tend to forget that acl's aren't available to the gui in home versions.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hi Doug, they are available in home version. You can only access them by first turning off "simple file sharing", and booting into safe mode. Not sure why you can only access advanced ntfs permissions in safe mode, but I don't try to understand Microsoft's ways.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Originally Posted by seack79
    Hi Doug, they are available in home version. You can only access them by first turning off "simple file sharing", and booting into safe mode. Not sure why you can only access advanced ntfs permissions in safe mode, but I don't try to understand Microsoft's ways.
    Thanks, I didn't know that
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo