Thread: Screen Share

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Screen Share

I am not sure where to ost this question but I'm sure the moderator will zap me if it doesn't belong here.

I am looking for company/software, will be nice if it is free or very affordable, that will allow me to access remotely the screen of another computer. From time to time I have the need to access my customer's screen to either demonstrate something or see a strange behavior that is being reported. I don't want to have to install anything (except a plugin) on either side. Free is good but I would much rather pay a little to access their screen without having to wait long periods of time.

Thanks,
    Evan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

VNC is a good protocol for doing stuff like this. There are numerous free VNC clients available for all of the major operating systems. Most of them require installation, although I think there are a few that can be executed stand-alone.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. They're coming to take me away

Logmein (Requires installation on computer you want to view, and plugin on computer you're viewing from)

VNC (Ones I've used require installation on computer you want to view, and can run a standalone exe on computer you're viewing from. VNC also requires a port to be forwarded at your clients end)

Remote Desktop Connection (if your OS and their OS supports this. For this, a port needs to be forwarded as well)

Windows Messenger (there's an option for the client to allow you to view their computer and then, if needed, they can press a button to give you actual access. I haven't used this in awhile, but I don't believe anything additional needs to be installed nor does any port need to be forwarded.)

I personally use Logmein for all my clients as it seems to be the easiest (no port forwarding required)

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : I'll agree to logmein.com. Great free service for basic tasks, fantastic and afordable pay service.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  7. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Dimdim is a free alternative to logmein.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Teamviewer is a one-time fee, but I prefer Logmein.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Screen Share

Yes, Team Viewer is the right choice for sharing desktops. Use it you can share the desktop remotely and also allow the file transfer,chat etc.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo