1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The Other Security Headache - Win2K on NT network

I am running the Win2k Pro OS on a Windows NT Network.

I try to get my new systems set up with all of the basic programs and get them ready for new hires or whatever. I install all the programs logged in as administrator. I will use Winzip 8.0 (registered) as an example:

I install and enter the reg code as administrator. I put in all the settings such as never show tool tips at startup and no tray icon. When I assign the computer to a user and log in as that user for the first time, WinZip acts like it was just installed. (No reg code, tray icon appears and tool tips.) This is driving me crazy, how can I install it under Admin, but tell it to keep these settings for all users?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

you need a software to watch the installer on which files it installs and which registry entries it changes.
    then you need to copy those to the /Documents and Settins/Default User/ directory to make new users have them (i am not 100% sure on this, test it with a simple file)

better would be: give temporary admin rights to this person, install with their logon and take the admin rights away after you are done. you can make a temporary group for this to make sure you donīt forget to make them "normal" users again.

(
    be prepared to have a lot of fun with this access system. itīll come back when you use msoffice - the user is prompted then and when to insert the installation cd rom. but he cannot install

even more fun: when you use embedded fonts in pdf files or want to install new fonts at all

iīll stop now. i donīt want to discourage you
    )
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks Hirsch,
    I've already found this with MSOffice. What I do is install everything under admin, then when the user logs for the first time it doesn't ask for the CD.
    I set up the programs that are least problematic, MSOffice and an IBM program we use. Then when I get the userid I make them admins, install the software and release the system. It's a pain but it works. I was hoping there was a better way.
    Thanks, if anyone else has any insights I'd love to hear them!

-Matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo