Thread: Services

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Services

Can you add a windows service?
    I have looked everywhere, and I cannot find an option to add a windows service. Well...I obviously havnt looked everywhere because I know programs like proxy+ install themselves as services. But how do i do it manually?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

what do you want to add? if you install apache or mysql eg, they appear automagically in the services list.
    if you want other MS-services, go to "control panel / software / windows setup"

if you want to make your own service, youŽll have to learn a lot about programming and the windows API...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

dam...what do you mean? Are services added in the actual VB code or C++ code ot what?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

yes. and no. afaik services need to call special functions to become services (called similar to "register_service_process()" - canŽt remember right now and too lazy to look it up, but i will if you ask me to...)

then they need to make some registry entries (this is probably what you are looking for), eg. in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services to make it possible to start them via "Administration/Services"

and (i am just guessing now!) services probably have to be COM-servers or something similar and need to register a global GUID somewhere (to be done by your installer).

i never did this before, so you might want to ignore my answer(s) and search on http://msdn.microsoft.com yourself.
    Last edited by M.Hirsch; October 5th, 2002 at 09:14 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks M. Hirsch!
    No need to look stuff up, i was just wondering, now i kind of know what its all about. Cheers.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I have written services in VB (not supported by MS though) that use the ntsvc.ocx. The application handles command-line parameters to install/uninstall itself. If you're really interested reply to the post and I can find some examples.... or just go to the msdn site and search for services.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo