1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Best Site to get Windows 7 ISOs

Recently got a Dell XPS with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit pre-installed. However, the reinstallation/recovery DVD that came with it is Windows 8.1 (they're "pushing" 8.1!!).

Is there a reliable (and malware/virus/spyware-safe) way to create a reinstallation or recovery DVD of Win 7 Pro 64bit? Tried looking online and all I could find (including on Microsoft.com) were links to "Digital River" supposedly a site to download a Windows 7 Pro 64bit ISO file. However, the link no longer works. Any other attempt to Google an ISO shows me links to sites outside the U.S. and I don't trust them!

Any of you experts here know of a trusted FTP or website where I can download Windows 7 ISOs (could also use a copy of 64bit Home Edition as well as the 64bit Professional)? I have CD keys, but no discs!
  3. Subconscious Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

And that 404 page presents you with a link to download Windows if you have the key. Which might not work with OEM keys. Have you tried that?
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, I did find that before. And no, apparently my OEM CD key does NOT work through that link you posted. I don't understand that, if it's a legitimate copy of Windows O/S with a product/CD key, why would it NOT work through Microsoft?!

Know of any trusted, NON-Microshaft sites to get an O/S iso file?
  7. Subconscious Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No doubt some kind of licensing thing, Microsoft wanting to not give out the ISO when they gave it to a manufacturer instead, something like that.

You could download ISOs and check hashes. This isn't quite official but I'd believe it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I sincerely hope it is not a Genuine Advantage issue as the install on this laptop and the main desktop were upgrades downloaded from the Microsoft Store. In additon when running the validation, no error messages were received. I don't know how it could possibly be a Group Policy issues since these are home machines (Win 7 HP 64bit) and have never had anything like that set up.
    Interestingly enough, I decided to try it one last time - even though I no long need it (got it another way, and finally after all this times, the download started. But it was the separate x65 and x86 downloads, not the ISO to burn the DVD. The only change I have made to this machine is that when I opened IE8, and received the normal message (do you want to make IE the default?) I did opt to make IE8 the default browser. I had been using IE8 on this machine and IE9 on my desktop, they were just not the default. I also volunteered to do the survey at the end of this session.
    Interesting. But as I pointed out, I was able to get it by entering the full file name for the ISO file and was able to download it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo