1. Don't shoot, we're not a tiger
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solved: "STService.exe unable to locate component."

Hey

First of all, apologies if there's a section of this forum that this thread would be better suited to. Mods, feel free to move the thread elsewhere if this is the case.

So anyway, I just thought I'd post a little fix for a problem I was having with my Dell laptop. After performing a registry cleanup, I began receiving the following error message every time I logged in: "STService.exe unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because STlog.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I Googled the problem but couldn't find a proper fix - all of the other users experiencing this issue had been told to simply uninstall Dell DataSafe Local Backup (from which the problem spawns) or just to stop it running on start up in order to get rid of the error messages.

However, if, like me, this isn't something you particularly want to do, here's a quick fix:

1. Find "Dell DataSafe Local Backup" within your Program Files (for me, this was under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup")
    2. Locate the file STLog.dll in this directory
    3. Copy the file - and I hasten to repeat, COPY it (do not move or cut the file, as this will cause many more issues)
    4. Find the Scheduler folder (for me, this was under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\scheduler"
    5. Paste the file in to this directory

At this point, I should point out that STLog.dll isn't - or at least wasn't for me - the only one missing. I also had to copy all of the following DLLs in the same way:

CSTError.dll
    STString.dll
    STXml.dll
    STStringArray.dll
    LibXml2.dll
    zlib1.dll
    STFiles.dll
    STRegistry.dll
    STPE.dll
    STNLS.dll
    STSystems.dll

Hope this has been helpful,
    Liam.

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
    Last edited by JackSparrow; March 21st, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

ahh, thanks so much, i had the same problem for quite a while now, but it's gone now, again thank you
  5. No Profile Picture

Very many thanks - worked perfectly for me.
    I had this problem when I uninstalled Datasafe local after back up /restore issues. I could not find or obtain the program as it came installed from Dell but had copied the program file so 'reinstalled' to programs - and then had the error message. I too needed all 12 dll's.
    Terrific
    Jeff
  7. No Profile Picture

Red face STService.exe - missing files

STString.dll went AWOL after a 'free' AVG clean up. Google Earth and Google SketchUp stopped working. I located the necessary file and copied it over (only the one file needed). So JackSparrow - thank you very much. I was beginning to think I would have to reinstall everything!

This should probably be an additional post but here goes. I have had continuing problems with my Windows 7 Dell laptop in that every time the computer boots up a further .dll file is missing and I have to use the same procedure as before to restore it. I probably should not have implicated AVG. The system seems to fully boot up and the screen looks fairly normal even though it takes far too long to do so. But it does show an error with the System Files and I find I can not open Google Earth or Google SketchUp until I have copied the missing file.

Unfortunately, I did not keep count but it seems I have recycled most of the files individually until now, when I am determined to find out the cause.

Can Jack Sparrow help once more please?
    Last edited by Gogglez; July 18th, 2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Continuing problems......
  9. No Profile Picture

STxml.dll, Ststring.dll missing files..........

Liam-

I had the same problem with a registry program. I had one additional Stlog.dll- after following your directions, no more messages about missing.dll's.

You were the only person with the correct answer as well as the correct "directions" on how to fix.

Thank you much Liam
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks Liam.

Ended up wit the same problem and somehow found this site and your post. I required the exact same fix for my Dell laptop and i appreciate your post as it can be extremely frustrating to one, have the existing problem and two, have no clue where to start/begin a fix.

We're out here experiencing the same problems and your post is still relevant and useful. . .thanks again,

David

Originally Posted by JackSparrow
    Hey

First of all, apologies if there's a section of this forum that this thread would be better suited to. Mods, feel free to move the thread elsewhere if this is the case.

So anyway, I just thought I'd post a little fix for a problem I was having with my Dell laptop. After performing a registry cleanup, I began receiving the following error message every time I logged in: "STService.exe unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because STlog.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I Googled the problem but couldn't find a proper fix - all of the other users experiencing this issue had been told to simply uninstall Dell DataSafe Local Backup (from which the problem spawns) or just to stop it running on start up in order to get rid of the error messages.

However, if, like me, this isn't something you particularly want to do, here's a quick fix:

1. Find "Dell DataSafe Local Backup" within your Program Files (for me, this was under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup")
    3. Copy the file - and I hasten to repeat, COPY it (do not move or cut the file, as this will cause many more issues)
    4. Find the Scheduler folder (for me, this was under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\scheduler"

At this point, I should point out that STLog.dll isn't - or at least wasn't for me - the only one missing. I also had to copy all of the following DLLs in the same way:

CSTError.dll
    STString.dll
    STXml.dll
    STStringArray.dll
    LibXml2.dll
    zlib1.dll
    STFiles.dll
    STRegistry.dll
    STPE.dll
    STNLS.dll
    STSystems.dll

Liam.
  13. No Profile Picture

Another Success!

Thank you for the info. I had to add a couple more .dll files, but it did work.
    Hey

CSTError.dll
    STString.dll
    STXml.dll
    STStringArray.dll
    LibXml2.dll
    zlib1.dll
    STFiles.dll
    STRegistry.dll
    STPE.dll
    STNLS.dll
    STSystems.dll

Liam.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys, .......
  17. No Profile Picture

STString.dll missing

I followed your steps, nearly like you said, same principle, it worked perfectly.
    Many other programs on the web were tricky and always asked for registration and payment.
    Thx
    ---------------------------------------
    Hey

CSTError.dll
    STString.dll
    STXml.dll
    STStringArray.dll
    LibXml2.dll
    zlib1.dll
    STFiles.dll
    STRegistry.dll
    STPE.dll
    STNLS.dll
    STSystems.dll

Liam.
  19. No Profile Picture

Smile Another Grateful Person

Thanks very much to Liam for the solution to the STSystem missing dll problem. Like others, I had no idea what the real problem was or where to look for a solution. I feel extremely lucky to have found your straightforward, to the point, thorough post because the problem was fixed on the first try!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo