1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Svchost locking up computer

I've had a problem with my computer locking up. I get the message "High cpu usage by Host Process for Windows" from an Nvidia program that came with the card. When I googled the problem, I read that svchost is causing this problem. Its mostly been happening when I try to watch a movie. The movie will stop running, then the downloads folder will stop responding. After I wait a few minutes (3 to 5) the message, "High cpu usage by Host Process for Windows" appears. Then everything starts working normally again. It happens with firefox too, but mostly when I have the Downloads folder opened.
    I'm using win7*64
    The movie is an avi format.
    The player is Windows media player classic.

I can't seem to add a screenshot for this.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it means your either infected with a virus thats using your svchost to hide itself or its corrupt
  5. No Profile Picture

If its corrupt, what can I do to fix it?
    Also, it was part of Norton that told me about the error not nvidia, my bad.
    I have a couple of screenshots of it but I dont know how to add them.
  7. Contributing User

Hi! You can use a Live CD like Ubuntu / Linux / Lubuntu / Whatever you like most for booting up your machine and manually replacing the corrupt file (EDIT: I offered you a file I don't have, sorry).

You may also consider on reinstalling the OS, you can do this formatting the drive (recommended) or above the entire OS (you may keep certain data, but you better consider formatting, as of today, I've never experienced trouble with this, but some programs just need to be reinstalled and it can become a mess easily if you're not patient enough).

On the other hand you may want a rescue, like Hiren's Boot. I don't remember which version I have used at my job, but it certainly wasn't the newest, and it had in fact an utility for restoring system files (I'm almost sure).

Sadly I can't leave you links because this user is new (mine fault!). But you may google those names I told you and easily find them. Everything I named is freeware, BTW.

Best of lucks.
    Last edited by MauroEldritch; October 15th, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Correcting some info
  9. No Profile Picture

Free Web Hosting | PHP | My SQL | No Ads | 200 GB Bandwidth

Maybe it is a svchost virus.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by 888webhost
    Maybe it is a svchost virus.
    YOU DON'T SAY...
  13. No Profile Picture

I just bit the bullet and reinstalled windows but not before I backed up everything since the begining of time. But now everything is fixed!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo