1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sync folders on multiple computers

Hello everyone,
    I am looking for a software for syncing folders on multiple computers. Specifically, I want perticular folders on all computers to copy to a central computer, e.g. comps A, B, and C each have folder "Data" on their local hard drives, now I want to copy all files under "Data" from A, B and C to comp D, but I don't want files on comp D to be copied to A,B, and C. Currently I'm using software called "foldershare", but I haven't figured out a way to sync only one way and not both ways. Does any one know how to do this? Is it possible to do this using "xcopy" command?
  3. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Do some google on Robocopy.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can I use robocopy to transfer files from one computer to another, and how to specify that. e.g., I want to copy files under "C:\data" on local hard drive to another computer with name "comp2", so under source path I specified: C:\data, and under the target path I specified: comp2\\C:\Transfer, but it doesn't work. Is this syntax right or how to specify the remote computer?
  7. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Have a look at Vice Versa File Sync.

http://www.tgrmn.com/

ViceVersa is the Award-Winning Windows XP, 2003, 2000, Vista software designed for File Synchronization, File Replication, File Backup and File Comparison
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gaanee
    Can I use robocopy to transfer files from one computer to another, and how to specify that. e.g., I want to copy files under "C:\data" on local hard drive to another computer with name "comp2", so under source path I specified: C:\data, and under the target path I specified: comp2\\C:\Transfer, but it doesn't work. Is this syntax right or how to specify the remote computer?
    map a network drive and then use that drive letter as destination. or just the share name... or ip/hostname with $ parameter?
  11. No Profile Picture

If the computers are not on the same network or you would also like a cloud backup you could use a service like Sugarsync.

To prevent Computer B,C,D from making changes to the file on Computer A, you just share the folder as read only.
    This way any changes you make to the folder on Computer A is automatically backed up to the cloud and then copied to Computers B,C,D.

It's free up to 2gb so why not give it a go?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo