1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What is taking up hard drive space?

The computer is Windows XP, 60 gb hard drive (really 51) and the hard drive is almost full. It shows it using 34 GB of the 51 GB. Did some calculating and found that Windows folder is 9.1 GB, Documents and Settings folder shows as 6.5 GB and Program files is 4.5, and then most everything else is very little, either MB or KB. So I come up with about 20 GB, but where is the other 14 GB? I did all of the deleting temp files,etc. Is there any particular folders that something might be continually running and consuming space? I ask that because I had an old laptop and went file by file with a side by side comparison with another computer and finally came across a McAfee file that had consumed like 18GB. This was on a computer that had a 30 GB hard drive. The owner used it for only email and so no additional music/pics or document files. basically what came on the computer, i.e. Windows and program files. I deleted that one file and got back all kinds of space. So I have to wonder if something similar is happening and I was wondering if someone had any ideas of where to look? Thanks for reading.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Select start and run, then type diskmgmt.exe and press enter. Selectthe disk labeled as active or C. Is any of it unused or black instead of blue?

If not try downloading ccleaner and running the temp file cleaner on it
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

if System Restore is turned ON, it will use a percentage of hdd space...and since its a hidden system folder, won't normally show up when you are doing a normal filesize estimation of folders.
    ..and, are you figuring in your pagefile?

Also, if you ever used Hibernate feature you will have a hiberfil.sys file that is the size of whatever amt of RAM you have.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

DonR is correct, you can verify if it's on as well as check the value it's set to use (based on percent of total disk space). It may be set higher than needed. Typically 2-5% is fine, but by default I think it may be set to 10%. Been quite a while since working with XP.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Download windirstat and run it on the drive. It will include the page file, system restore files, hibernation files and any memory dump files.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo