1. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Unhappy Any theories on crashing?

Any help on the following would be appreciated.

I'm running Win2000 and connecting to the web via a Elsa Microlink 56k Fun USB modem. I've updated the drivers to the latest version as are the drivers for my graphics card, m/board etc... what happens is as follows:

I dial up, connect to my ISP and surf the web. Then after some indescriminate amount of time one of two things happens:

1. The screen clicks and goes black (often fading slowly and rather impressively)

2. The screen freezes except for the mouse, then after a while the machine goes 'beep' and the mouse stops responding.

Even after this happens the HD still clicks and the modem still flashes to say there's data going in/out.

Any suggestions? I am planning on trying another modem tonight, but is that the only possibility?
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

There's only one thing that could cause that problem... Windows

But seriously, it sounds like something related to the graphics card and the modem (especially if you have the VIA chipset). Or something with IRQ/DMA etc...

Not much of a helping hand though...

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I thought it had to have something to do with the graphics card. Something technical cos it aint loose. So USB modem and graphics card and VIA = then? I'll have a look into it all.

Cheers.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo