1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trouble with WinXP Pro on a Win2003 Network

I manage the computer network for a small non-profit company. They have very little money and have only recently upgraded their system enough to run Windows XP Pro on a few computers (all their others are Win2000). They have a Windows SBS 2003 Server controlling the domain. None of the Win2k computers have any trouble with the network.

There's something weird going on with the WinXP Pro computers, though. There are three, and all of them have this problem: their connection to the network seems to degrade over time. This is most noticable with the network printer, a Canon ImageRunner 210. When first booting up, the computers print just fine, but after a couple hours it starts taking a long time for the print dialog box to appear. Eventually, it just won't be able to connect anymore and they'll need to restart to print.

But it's not JUST the printer - browsing network drives gets increasingly slow as time goes on.

I am not a network professional, just a nonprofit worker, so much of this is over my head. I'm not even sure how to diagnose this problem, much less fix it - can anyone point me in the right direction on where to look to find the solution for this problem? I've tried googling various phrases, but so far nothing has come up.

EDIT: I ran event viewer, and get the following errors every time I startup:

1054 - Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.
    15 - Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Enrollment will not be performed.
    40960 - The Security System detected an attempted downgrade attack for server cifs/IR210PSPCL. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    (0xc000005e)".
    40961 - The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/IR210PSPCL. No authentication protocol was available.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I would suspect SBS DNS server wasn't setup correctly or the workstations are pointed to the internet dns not the servers dns.

at the workstation, tcp/ip properties is the dns entry that of the SBS server ip or the isp's?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Aitken: saw that, already tried the force fix - nothing.

Wanderer: neither, they're set to get their DNS and IP automatically from the DHCP server, which in this case is the router. Should I try pointing the router at the SBS server and setting up internet forwarding? I'll give it a shot.
  9. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Do an 'ipconfig /all' from the command prompt and double check all the DNS addresses. Match these to what is in the tcp/ip configuration and make any changes if necessary to what the ipconfig shows.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo